Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ryerson Index (Australia) Sorted thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jul 2013 11:46

Many thanks - sleep well <3

Gai

Gai Report 29 Jul 2013 11:37

Hi Det,

pm sent.

Gai

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jul 2013 11:06

Would you mind please? Then I'll leave you alone! :-D

These 2 are husband and wife

VAN PRAAG Mark Death notice 03APR1957 Death late of Paddington Sydney Morning Herald 04APR1957

VAN PRAAG Violet Death notice 12AUG1978 Death late of The Montefiore Home, formerly of Bondi Sydney Morning Herald 14AUG1978

If it names children who could be alive ( they married 1932) perhaps the transcript by PM?? Siblings are probably OK as Violet was born 1886

DET :-D <3

Gai

Gai Report 29 Jul 2013 10:52

The NSW Library is the same.

You have to pay for a copy of the original notice but I can pull up a copy and transcribe it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jul 2013 10:46

Thanks - That would be very useful. I'll try not to over- burden you!

The Victorian Ask a Librarian has replied overnight with details of the original example - not a copy of the insertion but a transcription. That was fine for my needs.

Gai

Gai Report 29 Jul 2013 10:25

Detective,

I have a NSW library card and can access the Sydney Morning Herald from 1954 to 1995 if you need a look up.

Gai

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2013 16:14

Thank you for that AG.

Although I've 'Asked a Librarian' in this instance, I 'll bear that in mind. I'm currently researching a distant Australian Branch...3rd cousin sort of thing...and don't want to over-burden any one organisation when they are providing a free service.

I did read on the Ryerson Index that NSW residents with a blue and (another colour) library card can access some of the NSW notices on line.
. Do you think it worth while starting another thread with NSW notices, with perhaps a request to be contacted off-board? If it became known that a GR member had one of those, they might be overwhelmed with request for access!!

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 28 Jul 2013 12:48

Once you have found the information you send them an email giving the information you have found in each box. If they (the volunteer) has details they will email you a copy of the death notice or legal notice.

It is an excellent site and I have always found I have had a quick response. No need to ask a librarian in this instance I would think.... :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2013 11:34

Thank you - I might try that :-)

Adeline

Adeline Report 26 Jul 2013 11:30

There is a service in Australia called "Ask a Librarian." I believe the newspapers are available in libraries on microfilm so for the entry you quoted, for example, you could follow this link:

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/services/ask-librarian

I used the service via email some time ago for a Brisbane death and was sent a photocopy of the death notice by post with no charge as far as I remember.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2013 11:20

How does one gain access to the details of the notice?

For instance

SAMUELS Lillian Mavis Death notice 04SEP2000 Death 87 at Box Hill - Herald Sun (Melbourne) 05SEP2000

Thanks