Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bishopsgate Institute London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 6 Aug 2013 19:11

Hi All -

Has anyone visited the above? They have a collection of photographs that I would be interested in viewing, just wondered if anyone had been and what they thought.

Sheila

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 6 Aug 2013 22:08

I have been to the Bishopsgate Institute - not family research related and it was some time ago. Are the photographs an exhibition on display or archived?

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 7 Aug 2013 09:05

Hi JannieAnne - I stumbled on their collection whilst looking for a particular street. They have, among other things, a collection of slides from around 1910's/20's. I emailed their library and was most impressed to get a quick reply - I can order electronic copies of the images to print myself so am a happy bunny :-D.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 7 Aug 2013 09:51

Hi Sheila,

Glad you can get the electronic copies you want from them. I used to go there from time to time when I worked nearby, but didn't think of them from a family research aspect. I checked their website and as I am not far am going to keep an eye on their exhibitions etc - and also see what they may have in their archives for me! :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Aug 2013 13:14

Another good photographic resource is

The Mary Evans Photographic Library

This is on Blackheath SE3.

They have a website and some photos on there. Think you do have to book though as it is a small building used mainly for storage.