Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bishopsgate Institute London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 6 Aug 2013 19:11

Hi All -

Has anyone visited the above? They have a collection of photographs that I would be interested in viewing, just wondered if anyone had been and what they thought.

Sheila

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 6 Aug 2013 22:08

I have been to the Bishopsgate Institute - not family research related and it was some time ago. Are the photographs an exhibition on display or archived?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Aug 2013 09:05

Hi JannieAnne - I stumbled on their collection whilst looking for a particular street. They have, among other things, a collection of slides from around 1910's/20's. I emailed their library and was most impressed to get a quick reply - I can order electronic copies of the images to print myself so am a happy bunny :-D.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 7 Aug 2013 09:51

Hi Sheila,

Glad you can get the electronic copies you want from them. I used to go there from time to time when I worked nearby, but didn't think of them from a family research aspect. I checked their website and as I am not far am going to keep an eye on their exhibitions etc - and also see what they may have in their archives for me! :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Aug 2013 13:14

Another good photographic resource is

The Mary Evans Photographic Library

This is on Blackheath SE3.

They have a website and some photos on there. Think you do have to book though as it is a small building used mainly for storage.