Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GinN

GinN Report 7 Aug 2013 13:16

Would a birth certificate from the 1850's show the mother's maiden name, and what other information would it give. Hoping to clear up a few questions on my tree.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Aug 2013 13:23

Yes it would show mothers maiden name (if married)

Or just mothers name

If father listed will show you his name and occupation

Will also show address where child was born, date of birth and date of registration.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 7 Aug 2013 13:36

Helpful link re all certificates etc

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

George

GinN

GinN Report 7 Aug 2013 13:47

Thank you for your replies - I was wondering if it was worth sending for one, and now I see that it will be! :-)

jax

jax Report 7 Aug 2013 14:01

I have just ordered one from the 1870s just because I am nosey :-D This person is said to be granddaughter on one census but daughter on the next...then she gives her grandfather as her father on her marriage cert :-S I have the choice of five unmarried daughters (of child bearing age) at the time she was born....my own gt grandmother was only 12 (so didn't include her in the list of suspects) hope it isn't her :-0