Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have Ancestry changed their search facilities

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 Aug 2013 17:49

Have Ancestry changed their search facilities or is it something I have done?

From the home page I could search all records by putting in the persons name etc and up would come everything they had on this person. Now I select search all records put in the persons details and get a list of searches available ie census, births, marriages, deaths, immigration etc. if I then choose the census option I get the list of census's and I need to select one, no search all option.

I hope it is something I've accidentally changed as this is a very time consuming way of doing things.

This is on my iPad I haven't tried it on the PC but it was alright on here before.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Aug 2013 18:11

Have just tried by putting only a first name and surname in - it has given me census, bmd, schools, directories & church histories, Medal Rolls, probate etc

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 Aug 2013 18:15

Thanks Stuart, did these come up as a list to chose from not straight into the actual information.

Search all Records used to go straight into the search information

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Aug 2013 18:24

Shown as a list of different census to be found in, then deaths etc.
By inputting more info ie his birth year and place it did the same thing -
First name Arthur , so I got the Arthurs but also the Florence A and Eliza A etc

Does that help, got to go now

jax

jax Report 7 Aug 2013 18:27

There has been talk that everyone will have to use the new search rather than the old search??

As I have only ever used the new search for the last three years it is no different for me

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 Aug 2013 18:40

I only use the old search on Ancestry. I had an email about a month ago with a survey asking about why I used the old search and what features I liked about it. Apparently only 2% of users still use old search. They are working on a new type of serach and wanted to know which features to include.

Andy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 Aug 2013 19:15

Im sure i was on the new search i changed over to it when it was first introduced ages ago. Something is definitely different and takes longer to find what you want.

Thank to everyone for replying

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Aug 2013 22:35

TS
Do you know if your PC has defaulted to the old search?

When you are on tthe search page, look across to the left hand side.
.....just below the "Get Help" icon
It is a smallish font but it should say either "go to old search" or "go to new search"

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 Aug 2013 22:42

Hi Glasgow lass, I'm on my iPad at the moment but tomorrow I will try Ancestry on the P C. It is not how it was on here I am sure.