Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Member still with active account

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bob

Bob Report 22 Aug 2013 22:27

Hi everyone,

Have sent a message to a Genes RU member but no reply, so my question is,
is there a way of finding out if the person still has an active account. Bob

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2013 22:36

In a word, no.

Has your message been opened?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Aug 2013 22:37

Welcome to the boards Bob.

No there isn't a way of telling if they are still active at first contact. It's one of the things we have been asking about for a while.

Did you notice their membership number when you sent the message? The shorter the number, the older the membership which possibly means the less likelihood that they are still about.

Not true in all cases, as you are an example! Your membership number is 2202787 assigned when you first registered in Nov 2004.

Mine from Feb 2003 is 239347

Have you checked your sent message box to see if it has been read?

Kense

Kense Report 23 Aug 2013 07:38

The membership numbers are quite consistent Det.

Starting in Nov 2003 it took until Feb/Mar 2004 to reach the first million, but the second million was reached by Oct/Nov 2004 and the third million by Mar/Apr 2005.

The last time I checked, in June, the figure was thirteen and a half million.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Aug 2013 08:38

Genes will probably never instigate a system whereby you can tell if a member is still active, as that will show just how many inactive trees there are.

Also the older the tree, the more likelihood of that person being deceased is also a consideration. Sad to say...

And you also have to wonder how many trees there are on here with 20 or less people on them. When I did have a tree on here I had access to around 40 trees and at least 10 of those had only 20 or less people in them and one only 5!! :-D

Bob

Bob Report 23 Aug 2013 08:42

Thanks guys,

from what you all say I don't think I'll get a reply to my message, but you never know they might come back on. Fingers crossed

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 23 Aug 2013 15:31

On the other hand..... I had a reply a few weeks back - I had sent my message over a year before.

In the meantime I got on with my own research - and was able to give them information they did not know!