Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HISTORY OF A PROPERTY IN HASTINGS, EAST SUSSEX

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 Dec 2013 18:13

Hello,

I have today been to visit a work colleague's house in Baldslow Road, Hastings, East Sussex. Number 10. Beautiful property, Victorian. My friend said it was built in or around 1875. She seems to think in its day it was called Mount Lodge. I said to her that I would see if I could find out anything about the property for her. I have tried to search the Census for 1881, 1891, have found Baldslow Road, but can't see anything about a Mount Lodge. Not 100% sure that this what it was called when it was built. Can anyone assist with this quest please? Also not sure if this is the right board to post on.

Kind regards

Kathryn

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2013 19:16

If you live in the area, ask at the main library/family history centre if they have trade directories. They might give the contemporary names of houses as well as their numbers.

Don't assume that No 10 has always been No 10 aka the house name. Numbering might have changed over the years.

Is there a landmark building in the same road? If there is a pub or a church, you might be able to count dwellings from it to try and identify the property

Gee

Gee Report 23 Dec 2013 19:19

1881 England Census

Civil Parish:Hastings St Mary in the Castle

County/Island:Sussex

Street Address:
Baldslow Road Blacklands BEING BUILT (2 HOUSES)

Registration District:Hastings

Sub-registration District:St Mary In The Castle

ED, institution, or vessel:7

Piece:1025

Folio:89

Page Number:36

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 Dec 2013 19:33

Hiya,

Thank you for your responses, I'll have to go to the Library after the holiday period. My friend just thought it was called Mount Lodge back in its day. I know it's a long shot. As before, I have found Baldslow Road in the 1881 Census with several different houses in it but nothing by the name of Mount Lodge. It would just be interesting to find out the history of the house. It has a lovely feel about it and the décor ( a lot of the original features) are still there.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Choccy

Choccy Report 23 Dec 2013 20:12

RG number RG13
Piece: 867
Folio: 81
Page: 19
Reg. District: Hastings
Sub District: All Saints
Parish: Hastings St Mary in the Castle
Enum. District: 22
Ecclesiastical District: Christ Church Blacklands
City/Municipal Borough:
Address: Mount Lodge, Baldslow Road, Hastings St Mary In The Castle
County: Sussex

WIDDICOMBE, Emma Head Widow F 76 1825 Living On Own Means
Devonport, Devonshire
DOUST, Alice A Servant Single F 28 1873 General Domestic
Marden, Kent

Choccy

Choccy Report 23 Dec 2013 20:17

RG number RG12
Piece: 762
Folio: 63
Page: 19
Reg. District: Hastings
Sub District: St Mary in the Castle
Parish: Hastings
Enum. District: 9
Ecclesiastical District: Christ Church Blacklands
City/Municipal Borough: Hastings
Address: Mount Lodge, Baldslow Road, Hastings
County: Sussex

STANLEY, Elizabeth Head Single F 43 1848 Living On Own Means
Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
DAVIES, Phebe Servant Single F 21 1870 General Domestic Servant
Wales, Glan Conway

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 Dec 2013 20:45

Hiya,

Thank you so much, what an amazing find Choccy, well done you. Don't suppose you can find anything prior to 1891 at all? Hope you don't think I'm being cheeky, am not, just excited. If you would prefer to tell me how to find the information then obviously am quite happy to look myself. I tried before typing in Mount Lodge, Baldslow Road but couldn't find anything.

Once again thanks for this information, it's amazing.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Choccy

Choccy Report 23 Dec 2013 21:11

You can search by address on Find My Past, but I can't see Mount Lodge in 1881.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 Dec 2013 21:16

Hi Choccy, have now found the 1911 Census for Mount Lodge on Ancestry. Have tried again for 1881 but nothing, it says there were two houses being built so possibly Mount Lodge was one of them, my work colleague may have got her dates wrong, she did say she thought it was built around 1875. Thank you once again for your time and help much appreciated. My work colleague will be amazed to see who lived in the house. I won't see her now until after Christmas but will print off the Censuses for her.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Dec 2013 00:55

Myrtle Villas, Baldslow Road is on both the 1881 and 1891 census. On the 1891 census it is 13 properties away from Mount Lodge. The middle property between these two was The High School.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Dec 2013 10:29

Just for interest

Publication:Hastings and St Leonards Observer
Publication date:Saturday 28 July 1900

"For Sale, cheap, a lady's BICYCLE, almost new. Can be seen any time in the morning Mount Lodge, Baldslow Road, Hastings."

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 Dec 2013 11:36

Good morning people and hope that you've all had a great Christmas. Thank you for your replies to my recent thread. I find this all very interesting and my work colleague will too. I now believe that in the 1881 Census the two houses being built that one of them was Mount Lodge. I will have to check with my work colleague as she believed the house was built in or around 1875 which of course could be wrong. That's very interesting about the add for the lady's bicycle, what a find.

Kind regards and best wishes

Kathryn