Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fostering

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Dec 2013 17:52

Hello, hope everybody had an enjoyable christmas.

I'm after any advise people might have about fostering records, I don't really know to what extent they existed in the 1950's but my grandparents fostered a young boy for years when my father was small, all we know is that his name was Barry (sadly old memories being as they are his surname isnt something we know at present as when he was living with them he was 'Wood' the same as they were) then in the mid 50's an aunt came to collect him and that was that.

Does anyone have any ideas of the best places to look for records of foster placements? It was in Ashford in Kent so I suppose maybe a service there?

Thanks for taking the time to read this; I'm aware this is the proverbial needle in a haystack but I'm fairly determined!

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 27 Dec 2013 19:38

I think, like adoption, these records are sealed and only accessible by the person being fostered.

Perhaps his surname was Wood if an Aunt came to collect him and he was a family member. The fostering could have then been an informal affair. Do you know the Aunt's name? tracing her may lead you to discover more information about Barry

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Dec 2013 20:46

He definitely wasn't related so I think Wood was just the surname he used while with them, and the aunt would have had a different name but nobody can remember it unfortunately. Might have a go at contacting records office but I suspect you're right about the access

Flip

Flip Report 27 Dec 2013 22:01

I agree with the previous posts, you can not be given any access to his original name, records or subsequent placements. There are no GRO/adoption records for fostering as there are with adoption, fostering would be an arrangement between the foster parents and the local authority. They enter into a commercial contract, which is not available under a FOI request due to the sensitive nature of the contract. Data Protection comes into it, but not just when the person is alive - it extends indefinitely. The foster child could request his/her info via a Subject Access Request though.

Unless someone knows otherwise, I think your only hope of tracing a foster child would be through the local social services department who placed the child. They may be willing to contact the child (or now adult) on your behalf, if they think it may be in the child's interest. But I think this would be highly unlikely unless you have a very good reason for wanting contact.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 28 Dec 2013 18:50

Do you know what school Barry would have attended when fostered by your grandparents? Just wondered if it might be worth trying a site like Friends Reunited, if you're looking to contact him, via either the schools or street where Barry and your father lived as children.

Very long shot I know.