Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Thomas Timmins at the hardy Pick & shovel co

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 31 Dec 2013 08:33

My grandfather John Thomas Timmins sufflerede face Burns in a World accident at the Hardy Pick & Shovel Company.. I was told he received some compensation money from the Company but do not know. Where & hen the accident tolk place. Can annonce give me any advice on how I Can find any details about the accident. The accident must have taken place between 1885 and 1943 When he died.
Thanking you. David Timmins

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Dec 2013 08:43

What is a World accident?

Where was the Company based?

When did it cease to exist?

Deaths Jun 1943 (>99%)
Timmins John T 73 Sheffield 9c 408

Any 'injury' would have been during the man's term of employment....................was the Company you name his only employer from when he started work until his retirement?

Have you done anything yourself to try to find info?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Dec 2013 08:45

Is one of these his birth?

Births Sep 1869 (>99%)
TIMMINS John Thomas Dudley 6c 54
TIMMINS John Thomas Stourbridge 6c 193

patchem

patchem Report 31 Dec 2013 09:11

Is this the company?

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/LinkedArticles/NewsSection05/1929PatentPick.html

(But no mention of burns injuries to employees in this fire, so at another time for your grandfather?)

patchem

patchem Report 31 Dec 2013 09:19

Further information that David has (from a google search) Company archives seems the way to go.

'Does anyone know if the Hardy Company had steel or iron melting facilities in Sheffield

The reason I ask is that my Grandfather John Thomas Timmins was burned on the face by hot metal.

He moved to Woodhouse, Sheffield from West Bromwich circa between 1885-1891.

He worked as a Iron Puddler and later as a Blacksmith.

I never knew him as I was only 4 years old when he died in 1943.

I was told he bought a chip shop on Denby Street with the compensation money he received from the Hardy Patent Pick Company.

I never knew whether the accident occurred in West Bromwich or Sheffield

I was only told he worked on Spon Lane, the only one I know is in West Bromwich but maybe there was one in Sheffield?'

If he bought a chip shop with the compensation then the accident was some time before he died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Dec 2013 09:27

Haven't you googled??

6th November 1929 - Fire at Hardy Patent Pick Co. - The History of ...
www.sfbhistory.org.uk/LinkedArticles/.../1929PatentPick.html?
... works of the Hardy Patent Pick Company, Little London Road, Heeley, Sheffield. ... They saw Sheffield Fire Brigade, under Superintendent T. Breaks, working ...

AND

Hardy Patent Pick Company - Sheffield Forum
www.sheffieldforum.co.uk › Sheffield › Sheffield History & Expats?
19 Nov 2008 - 20 posts - ?14 authors
Hardy Patent Pick Company Sheffield History & Expats.

David

David Report 6 Jan 2014 15:01

Thankyou for your help. I-m sorry I didn-t make my request very clear but I have taken on board what you have written.

David Timmins