Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edna Phyllis Joyce Parr 1919 Cambridge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KeithG

KeithG Report 6 Jan 2014 22:02

I've just discovered that I have, or had, a half-sister. I've found her birth and baptism details but otherwise GR Search has not been able to help me.

Has someone access to other searches, please, which might turn up further information?

Many thanks
Keith

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 6 Jan 2014 22:06

Sadly:
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Edna P J Parr
Name: Edna P J Parr
Birth Date: abt 1920
Date of Registration: Mar 1937
Age at Death: 17
Registration District: Cambridge
Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 626

KeithG

KeithG Report 6 Jan 2014 22:10

Sadly or not, I'm very grateful, thank you Maureen.
I wonder why GR failed to find this? Oh well.
Thanks again
Keith

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Jan 2014 22:57

(her Burial details below)

St. Andrew. Chesterton, Cambridge

Parr Edna Phyllis Joyce Feb 6 of 34 Herbert Street 17

Chris :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2014 04:24

Keith

you should use the following site for all births etc from July 1 1837 to about 1966 or so ............ it's free, but it is the site we all use

www.freebmd.org.uk

KeithG

KeithG Report 7 Jan 2014 06:43

Thanks for the burial details, Chris. I've not researched a death before, is it like births where you can request a copy of the certificate? Where did you find these details, parish records?

Thanks for the pointer to FreeBMD, Sylvia. I had looked there - although not specifically for a death at 17 I must confess. As the search terms are somewhat restricted (firstname, familyname) it turns up loads of irrelevant stuff, I was amazed at how many Edna Parrs there were. I must be missing something if you can quickly find "my" particular one! Is there a way on FreeBMD to include middle names as they are pretty unique in this case and would have made the search much more useful.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2014 08:00

Hi Keith

I got this from freebmd .................

Births Jun 1919 (>99%)
Parr Edna P J Jones Chesterton 3b 532

Deaths Mar 1937 (>99%)
Parr Edna P J 17 Cambridge 3b 626

On the Search Page, I highlighted all three Births, Deaths, Marriages

In the name boxes, I entered ............

Parr

edna p* j* <<<<<<<<<<<<<< where " = a wild card for 1 or more letters after it

Date Range Mar 1918 to Dec 1950

This is where freebmd is very useful .................. you can use that wild card * for surname, first name + any subsequent forenames.

Hope this helps you

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2014 08:03

by the way ......... that search took me literally seconds!

Most bmd registrations show only initials for forenames after the first one, but the ability to add * covers all eventualities!

order all certificates only from the General Register Office .................... cost £9.25 including postage

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Jan 2014 08:30

Hello Keith,
yes, Burial info. from Parish cd. I presume you have seen 1918 Marriage of her parents (St. Luke. Chesterton).

Chris :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2014 09:31

After 1911, when additional info was included in the GRO index, only the initials of second and subsequent forenames are included.

You should ALWAYS search on freebmd using full first forename and initial only of second forename.

KeithG

KeithG Report 7 Jan 2014 09:42

Thank you Sylvia, I didn't know about the * wild card, brilliant! That will help a lot.

Chris - yes marriage on 4 April 1918, divorced 9 9 1941, thanks

Thanks again, everyone!!

Keith