Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 16 Jan 2014 18:53

hi anyone on here with ancestry membership as well as gr that are having probs when searching for b m d but not sure of exact year but dont have the +/-
thatswhats happenig with mine ive contacted ancestry :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Jan 2014 19:01

Looks OK to me,

Have you had auto updates on your PC recently? if your using Internet Explorer try ancestry in compatibility view

You could also use http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl until you resolve the issue

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Jan 2014 20:22

As the records are the same on here as on FreedBMD why are you not using them?

On Ancestry, yes, they go up to about 2004/5. But for earlier I would only use FreeBMD.

David

David Report 16 Jan 2014 20:42

dazed confused
on free bmd some of my ancestors names are common and states too many to be shown
porkie pie
yes had auto updates recently
yes im useing internet explorer how woul;d i get ancestry in compatibilty view ??
thank you both for replies :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jan 2014 08:52

Depends what version of IE you have but if you go to Ancestry then on your browser click on Tools, then you should see Compatibility view and or Compatibility view settings, click on Compatibility view settings and then Add ancestry to the list of web sites.

Also IF you look at the address bar and after the web address one of the symbol looks like a torn peice of paper then you can just click on that to go to Compatibility view, click again to switch back

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 17 Jan 2014 09:57

On FreeBMD all you do is do the checks in smaller blocks

Which is what I did with my `popular` surname.

So I put in the surname, the years 5 +/- and the area or county.

Simples

And going by the way you must be searching for FreeBMD to come up with that amount of names, surely all you are getting on Ancestry is pages and pages of the surname.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Jan 2014 11:01

You must have SOME idea of when people were born.........

As you appear to have access to Ancestry.....find them on censuses BEFORE you look for births

Then use freebmd

David

David Report 17 Jan 2014 14:29

porkie pie
thank you you have been most helpful and sorted now
thank you again

David

David Report 17 Jan 2014 14:34

reggie
thats what im doing ie search the census then look after that
all sorted