Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving Documents to own Computer,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 18 Jan 2014 19:27

Hi , Can anyone tell me if there is a way of saving an image or Article to my computer which has been researched on Genes, I found an obituary in 1 of the Ayrshire Newspapers, I saved it to my Keepsake but can't save it properly to my own computer files, I want to print it out to put into my family folder

Any help would be great, thanks Fiona

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2014 20:23

If you have a 'snipping tool' you can use that to cut and paste into 'something else' - don't know what as ours doesn't have it - but I've never been able to save a newspaper article straight to my computer.

To print, right click on the image, and select print. You can always scan back in as a jpeg or your preferred format, and crop off the bits you aren't interested in.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Jan 2014 21:22

If you look in Accessories you may find the Snipping Tool. (i.e.All Programs - Accessories).

Then it is simply a question of dragging a rectangle around the area to be saved, clicking and then using the Save As button (in the File tab) to store the file where you want it.

If the article is more than one page then you either have to store it as two (or more) files or change the screen zoom to get it all on the screen at once.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Jan 2014 21:28

This thread contains some info about the Snipping Tool.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1325261

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jan 2014 11:10

Or you can do what I do

1: Hit Print Screen
2: Open word
3: Past to word document
4: Save as 'named' document

I save all such items that you are talking about in this way. And you can then use the 'Format' tool to cut to size and enlarge just the article and get rid of other bits around it.

Fiona

Fiona Report 19 Jan 2014 15:12

Thank you for all your help, my husband has down loaded a snipping tool and it does the job fine.
thanks Fiona