Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

India Find my Past

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jan 2014 17:13

Has anyone added this yet?

You can now discover the story of your British ancestors who lived and worked in India from 1698–1947. Findmypast, in partnership with the British Library, brings you this exclusive record collection online for the first time.

Head east with our British in India collection. Find out whether your relatives were aristocracy, tradespeople, civil servants or soldiers and finally discover those missing ancestors with new records spanning 200 years of history.
Explore now

These 2.5 million records include:
• Baptisms, marriages & burials
• Army officers' marriage notifications
• Records for other locations administered by the India Office (Aden, Burma, Kuwait, St Helena)
• Civil service records
• Pension registers
• Probate records & wills

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jan 2014 17:28

Hi Janet.
Thanks for the tip.
I know my grandfather was serving in India 1911. Do you think there would be anything about him on there? He was just an ordinary soldier, not an officer or anything.
Just wondering if it's worth pursuing or not!
Jan

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jan 2014 17:45

Who knows jan

, worth a try, what's his name?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jan 2014 17:57

Hi Jan.

Well, I wasn't hinting for a lookup - but thanks!! :-D

His name was Albert Bowen. In 1911 he was a gunner for the 'No 70 Coy R Gi A' (I assume this means 70th company, but really have no idea!).

Jan x

Gai

Gai Report 30 Jan 2014 10:47

Thanks Janet for posting about these records.

Looks like some brick walls are tumbling down.

Yay! :-D

Gai