Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re married / what name was used after divorce !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 9 Feb 2014 23:40

Hi all. I have a query that I need some help with....my mother was divorced back in the 50's....and I have not seen her since, not for the want of trying tho !!! I believe and hope that she remarried and found happiness, but I come up against a brick wall when it comes to finding her..is there way I can find out what name she would have used after she divorced... either her maiden or married name..so that I can check some records to trace where and when she remarried.would appreciate any help.
Thank you ...Joanie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Feb 2014 23:57

Well not that this helps but I hypenated my maiden name to my married name when I divorced.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Feb 2014 00:00

I think it could be either or. I have a friend who reverted to her maiden name, another friend kept her married name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Feb 2014 00:23

Look here
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
for marriages in either her maiden name or first married name.

Use the same combination of names that she used for her 1st marriage, eg. Joan M. BROWN, but she may have not used middle initial.
Unless it is a very unusual name, there are likely to be several possible names used.

Gwyn

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Feb 2014 00:49

One thing that won't have changed is the one she was born with. If she was of child-bearing age, it might be possible to find the names of any half siblings then work backwards to look for a marriage.

If it was a 'common' maiden name, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Although in the great scheme of things she might be too young to have died of an age related illness, if you know her exact dob you could use that and her forenames to look for possible deaths (to 2006ish on subscription sites). The dob started to be recorded on DC in about the mid 1960's.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Feb 2014 10:09

As you know both surnames...........look for both

When was she born?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Feb 2014 13:45

Hello Joan and welcome to the Community Boards.

Note. I'll let Joan know that she has replies to her query. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2014 04:50

Unfortunately, one other possibility is that she did not marry again, but did take a common-law partner and changed her name to his.

There would be no record of that happening.

She might also have emigrated.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Feb 2014 14:10

I divorced nearly 20 years ago, and looking into going back to my maiden name and it was such a hassle. Bank details, work and a myriad of other organisations (no internet to make it easy either), that I did not bother,

However, I use my maiden name mainly when on genealogy sites.

As you probably know you can call yourself what you like as long as it is not for criminal purposes.

jax

jax Report 12 Feb 2014 14:24

When I finally get divorced I will stick to my married name as I have used that longer than my maiden name.....plus I will not have to keep spelling it