Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Compositor in the 1800's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 10 Feb 2014 18:36

Where would you suggest I look to trace someone who was a compositor in the late 1800. I know he lived in Market Drayton, how do I find out what papers were in circulation then, I would image as MD is a small place there would possible only one newspaper produced, and presumably by G Father would be listed somewhere as an employee, can anyone advise? Stephanie

patchem

patchem Report 10 Feb 2014 21:18

From a google search:

http://www.marketdraytonadvertiser.com/about-us/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2014 04:45

A compositor could also have been employed by a book printer, or by a company producing advertising, or signage

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Feb 2014 16:09

You could try looking for the local Trade Directory of the time. That would give some indication of places he may have worked at, ie newspapers, printers, or any big companies in nearby towns which would have had their own in-house design/advertising/printing dept.

He may not have worked IN Market Drayton itself, so I would suggest keeping your search fairly wide.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Feb 2014 13:17

Hello Stephanie and welcome to the Community Boards.

I will let Stephanie know that she has replies to her query. :-)

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 12 Feb 2014 13:21

Tried contacting newspaper via google, no response

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Feb 2014 18:06

How about writing to them, snail mail, explain in the letter that you are tracing your family tree - g.grandad in particular, who was a compositor, and you wondered if he worked for them, and if they have kept their personnel files, blah blah blah.
I'll admit it IS a long shot Stephanie, but it's something I would try....because you just never know what documents and/or info is available.
Don't expect miracles overnight though, most of us have been slogging away at our family trees for centuries :-S

:-) Karen

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 17 Feb 2014 22:44

Nudging this one up to the front page so it can join the most recent thread of Stephanie's ref: William Cartwright b.1872 - in the hope that anyone doing research for her will not do as I have done ie spend several hours researching in response to her Private Message.
I have only just seen the second thread, posted yesterday, and discovered that a good deal of info is already there AAAArrrrgggghhhhhhhhh.... :-| :-| :-|

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 17 Feb 2014 22:46

nudge

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Feb 2014 23:50

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1337428