Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Three parents on a birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Feb 2014 01:06

Della Wolf is B.C.'s 1st child with 3 parents on birth certificate. For more details, see

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/della-wolf-is-b-c-s-1st-child-with-3-parents-on-birth-certificate-1.2526584

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Feb 2014 10:25

Presumably that would also apply for surrogate mothers who give permission? Seems a little odd for those of us used to the idea of one each of male/female parents + an adoption by the non-biological one.

The article mentions that 'up to 4 parents' can be listed. Now that is weird!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Feb 2014 10:50

Can't see how the non biological partner is entitled to be on any cert but then this isn't in the UK

Kense

Kense Report 11 Feb 2014 14:38

I believe that happens quite a lot, Shirley. Usually without the non-biological father realising it. ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Feb 2014 16:16

I meant be on the cert as well as the mum and the biological dad.

I know that some porkies were told when naming a father sometimes to cover up. I have certs where the father named couldnt possibly be dad.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Feb 2014 16:19

Hmmm. I guess I have old fashioned beliefs :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2014 01:34

Shirley

it does make sense!

We have legal same sex marriage here

A child born to one of the women has long been given the other partner's name as "father" on the birth certificate ..........

all that has happened now, is that BC is allowing the sperm donor's name to also be added to the certificate as "father'.

Thus acknowledging his role in the child's birth.

The male HAS to give his permission for his name to be included on the certificate.

I must admit, I don't see the point of the 4 parents. I can't put that together mathematically!

It is an acknowledgement of the realities of life ......... and will allow the child to know legally the name of her father.

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Feb 2014 03:00

Maybe the 4th person is a surrogete mother, though how this would differ from an adoption escapes me.

I must admit I never noticed the b.cert provisions of the new law. As I recall it, all the chat at the time was abt the shared property after 2y cohabitation provision (in the absence of a pre-nup - obviously nup's not the right word, but..).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2014 04:41

the birth certificate provisions came as a surprise to me also!

The 2 year cohabitation of course is just an extension of the old common law shared property rule for heterosexual relationships.

Graham

Graham Report 12 Feb 2014 11:46

If there are 3 parents names on a birth certificate, one of them is obviously not one of the parents. They're just treating the child like a piece of property.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Feb 2014 13:25

I remember a story in the papers about 6 or more years ago about 3 sisters.

1 could not have any children
2 got pregnant very easily, and had been sterilised
the 3rd did not want children

So sister 3 donated an egg, sister 1s husband donated the sperm and sister 2 had the baby. A lovely story at the time showing just how much these 3 women cared about each other.

Yeah I know its not really relevant to the thread, but reading the thread reminded me of this story. :-D

Kense

Kense Report 12 Feb 2014 18:22

I suppose things will get even more complicated if cloning should become possible (and acceptable) for humans. :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2014 19:42

Don't forget that this new provision could also be used by heterosexual couples ................. where the husband was not the sperm provider.

thus the child will get a certificate that has the names of bother her life father and her birth father

something that has long been wanted by many IVF children

That's always providing that the sperm donor is willing to have his name on the certificate.