Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Old Search ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colette

Colette Report 7 Mar 2014 11:39

Is anyone else not seeing the Old Search button on Ancestry I really do not like the newer search style.

Colette

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Mar 2014 11:53

I don't like the new site either. I used to be able to find a lot more people with the old one.

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Mar 2014 11:56

Sorry to say Colette.
It´s gone.
I too hate the new search. Tried it when it first appeared a few years ago, went back to the old search & have stuck like glue to that ever since.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Mar 2014 12:17

I have also stuck with the old search because i found the new search hard to adjust to but the new search has changes from when it was first introduced and now you can still get almost all the eliments of the old style search

If you go to the homepage and hover over the search tab, then select say

Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish

Then on the right of that page it lists "Narrow by Category" and "Featured data collections"

You can select which individuel records collection to search from these menu's as you could with the old search, So not that different to the old search

It works the same for all searches listed under the search tab on the main page

If you don't search a specific Category/collection then it will give you results for all Category/collections which is why you would get loads of unwanted results

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Mar 2014 14:37

There has been a message at the top of the page for the past month saying things were about to change.

The replacement search is supposed to take the best things from the Old Search and 'New' version trialled over the past couple of years.

I have only used it for a short time this morning and it does look promising, but like all change, you need to persevere until you get used to it.

As Roy says, it is always better to be selective on what you are searching. I have pre-set bookmarks set up for BMD Indexes, Census, Trees and General Search. When using the latter, more often than not, I select a particular category within that too. Especially important if the name is a common one.

There are also some new features I haven't seen before in that it connects directly with your Ancestry Tree, allowing you to select a name from that and automatically populating various search fields, saving you having to type them in.