Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

G.R. March newsletter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Mar 2014 17:05

Anyone else receive the March Newsletter from Genes?

It features the story of the month. Story being the operative word in my opinion.

Laurence's Success Story claims that with the help of GR members he has traced his tree back to 3 AD! He's a direct descendant of Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Walter, King of the Franks etc. etc.

It seems that most of this info came from one GR member so nothing documented.

What a great advertisement for genealogical research!

Hannah

Hannah Advisor Report 14 Mar 2014 17:18

Hello Margee

We hope that a member sharing their enthusiasm for their family history research and the hope of tracing a family tree so far back will help to inspire others to delve into their family's past.

Kind regards

Hannah

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Mar 2014 17:23

My Goodness! You're gullible, Hannah!

Alan

Alan Report 14 Mar 2014 17:38

You will find umpteen trees like that on Ancestry and all full of errors.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 14 Mar 2014 18:56

This wonderful tree is solely based on one member's say-so with no real documentation?
*Sigh*
Frankly I don't think this is a very good advert for G.R.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 14 Mar 2014 19:14

I think the GR member was having a bit of a laugh with said Laurence.

Quite frankly I think this sort of story makes a mockery of what genealogy is all about, and is somewhat of an insult to true genealogists, GR members or not.
We could all get our family trees back to Jesus Christ, and in half a day if we so wished, provided we didn't bother with any documentation.
But what's the point of that? :-(

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 14 Mar 2014 19:24

I agree with Karen.
What's even more startling is that the G.R. 'team' seem to think it's genuine and worth boasting about.

jax

jax Report 14 Mar 2014 19:54

Don't you just love these fairy stories :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Mar 2014 21:45

Karen in the desert, there are over 40 members of GR with Jesus Christ in their tree

Surely they can't all be wrong ;-)

Roy :-D

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 15 Mar 2014 00:08

Hello Hannah...

I hope this is enough enthusiasm for you, a real honest success story that will maybe help people delve into their family's past....

Margee...I'm sure you will remember how much You, Dea, jansmith and others helped me find my Great Grandma and family in Canada (what a giggle we had "along the way") it meant/means the world to me...I started from nothing, never knowing my family and you lovely folk's gave me everything.....

I have only a large handful of people on my tree, all researched to the hilt, certs bought and "meat" now being added to bones....

Surely Hannah, these are the stories you should be telling in your news letter (no, I do not wish my story told, am thrilled that I know, that's what matters )

There are many people on GR, who are more than happy to help others, often at their own expense...do not take, or let others take "the mick" because they are the folks that keep your (failing) site afloat, and have done for a long time...

Thank you all that have helped me over the years....YOU are the back bone of this site....

Hannah...I agree with Margee, don't be so gullible....

Misty x

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 15 Mar 2014 07:34

Misty has hit the nail right on the head. What an excellent post.

I still can't take it in that the GR team actually believe the 'success story' is worthy of broadcasting.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2014 09:03

Whilst agreeing that the 'Back to Adam' trees are rather suspect, Laurence's story does illustrate how we can each assist each other with our research and suggest alternatives. Without the Contact via GR, he might have gaily carried on along the wrong branch.

"I had assumed I was related to the first wife of my 2 x great grandfather (Edward Grummitt, 1813-84), but the member showed me clearly that my 2 x great grandmother was actually his second wife, Mary Searson (1815-98)."

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Mar 2014 09:38

But really, DetEcTive, that's such a small part of the story. It's a mistake in genealogy that happens quite often easily remedied by the purchase of a birth certificate or finding the baptism record.

I would suspect that Laurence has never even bought a certificate of any kind and yet he's back to 3 AD.

I just can't believe that GR are bragging about this accomplishment when it's so clearly a load of rubbish.

I'm afraid my opinion of GR has taken a nosedive as has the site in general.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Mar 2014 12:27

Unbelievable.

We have a number of members who have Santa Claus in their tree.

Someone also has the Virgin Mary. The member's name? Jesus.

Scooby Doo, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse........all in trees on this site.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

The GR Team really need to get their collective act together before publishing such inane 'stories' as it does rather make them a laughing stock.

As DET has intimated....there is some great help on here and there must be some good authentic research which is worth publishing.

Think of what Janey Canuck achieved in her time on here - she could 'outresearch' even professional researchers - stories definitely worth publishing.

Those were the days!

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 15 Mar 2014 13:16

I wonder if the GR member who gave Laurence all this wonderful info would like to comment?

Graham

Graham Report 15 Mar 2014 20:03

As I am a fully paid up platinum member of GR, how is that I haven't got access to these records that go back to 3A.D.?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 15 Mar 2014 20:47

Roy, thank you for pointing out that nugget of information, I was chuckling out loud as I read your post :-D :-D :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Mar 2014 22:01

I was also chuckling out loud as i wrote it :-D

Roy :-D