Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 28 Mar 2014 08:32

anyone noticed this on FMP?

Findmypast is thrilled to announce a new project to release the 1939 Register, which will see 40 million wartime British records published online within the next two years.

In the most anticipated family history development since the 1911 census, findmypast are working in association with The National Archives to provide the only complete overview of the population between 1922 and 1950.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Mar 2014 09:19

Yes...................

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Mar 2014 10:25

I think people will be expecting far more than is actually on there.

It is little more than a slight expanded ER.

It will have the name of all people resident at a certain address. Do not know if it will even have their DOB on it.

I think a lot of poeple are going to be very disappointed......

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2014 15:03

Information gathered for each person was their address, name, sex, date of birth, marital condition, occupation and whether a member of the armed forces or reserves.

http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm

Link to a blank form
http://www.1911census.org.uk/regform1939a.jpg

Elsewhere someone has said that the full details will only be published if it can be proved that a person has died (or is likely to have died). May be the dobs will be redacted?

Janet

Janet Report 28 Mar 2014 15:57

Well if it can tell me if one of my great grandfathers was still alive and where, I for one shall be very happy

J

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Mar 2014 16:36

Is it the list prepared for our Identity Cards ?

Janet

Janet Report 28 Mar 2014 16:58

I believe so

The 1939 register was taken on 29 September 1939 by the British Government, shortly after the outbreak of WW2. It recorded personal details of individuals in order to issue identity cards and ration books, and later formed the basis of the National Health Service’s records.

jan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2014 20:35

they are apparently only releasing information for people who are now dead

and some people have found that it takes some time to get the information .......... presumably as FMP sorts through who is still alive and who is now dead.

jax

jax Report 29 Mar 2014 17:13

May be interesting to see if my grandfather lied about his age on there as well

Are they not doing the 100 year ruling Sylvia?

Rondog

Rondog Report 29 Mar 2014 19:46

This question may have been asked before but,

WHEN WILL THE 1921 CENSUS BE AVAILABLE ON GR?

Probably not in my lifetime. b 22 September 1938

:-|

jax

jax Report 29 Mar 2014 20:09

Not until 2022 at the earliest Rondog

http://www.1901census.com/1921-census/

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2014 14:12

Unless the law is changed then the 1921 census will not be released until 2021/2.
It is 100 years plus 1 day.
It has to be negotiated with the NRO and then transcribed. Which takes time and money.
If it should be released early, I would imagine that Ancestry is the only genealogical site which has the finances to do this first, which is what has happened with the 1901 and 1911 census'.

But with the Electoral Rolls, you can at least go forward in some part with addresses.

jax

jax Report 30 Mar 2014 15:14

Ancestry didn't get the 1911 first DC

It was on FMP and possibly GR before them

Kense

Kense Report 30 Mar 2014 16:52

There was a similar register compiled in 1915. I don't think it has survived intact, but there may be some local lists.