Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre-1841 census Crowhurst/Battle, Sussex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 31 Mar 2014 10:34

I had a computer problem so cannot access my notes. I use to have details of a pre-1841 census return (Church Census) for the Bourner family of Crowhurst/Battle.
Does anyone know where I found it. I have looked in the usual on-line places.
I am now puzzled. I found it probably about 5 years ago.
Can anyone assist?

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Mar 2014 11:26

Have a read through this online guide to pre 1841 census. At a quick glance it looks as though it may give some indication as to the type of questions that were asked and where the surviving reports might be found.

http://www.histpop.org/pre41/listings_a.pdf

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:31

Name: Anne Bourner
Christening Date: 10 May 1801
Christening Place: CROWHURST,SUSSEX,ENGLAND
Father's Name: James Bourner
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C04091-2
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 1067147

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:32

Name: Edgar Bourner
Christening Date: 01 Jul 1810
Father's Name: John Bourner
Mother's Name: Mary

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:32

Name: William Bourner
Christening Date: 19 May 1822
Father's Name: Peter Bourner
Mother's Name: Jane

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:33

Name: Maria Bourner
Christening Date: 21 May 1809
Mother's Name: Harriott

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:34

Name: Thomas Bourner
Christening Date: 15 Jun 1798
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:34

Name: George Bourner
Christening Date: 20 Nov 1662
Father's Name: George Bourner
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C04091-1
GS Film number: 504414

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:35

Name: Charles Bourner
Age (Original): 32
Birth Year: 1849
Birthplace: Crowhurst, Sussex, England
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Marital Status: Married
Address: Hemmingfold
Event Place: Battle, Sussex, England
Disability:
Record Type: Household
GS Film number: 1341245
Affiliate Publication Number: RG11
Piece/Folio: 1034 / 66
Page Number: 22
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Charles Bourner M 32 Crowhurst, Sussex, England
Wife Harriet Bourner F 33 Sedlescomb, Sussex, England
Son Charles Bourner M 11 Westfield, Sussex, England
Son Ernest Wm Bourner M 9 Westfield, Sussex, England
Son Thos Arthur Bourner M 8 Westfield, Sussex, England
Daughter Edith Kate Bourner F 7 Westfield, Sussex, England
Daughter Agnes Bourner F 5 Westfield, Sussex, England
Son Carlos Bourner M 3 Westfield, Sussex, England
Daughter Clara Florence Bourner F 1 Battle, Sussex, England
Lodger John French M 29 Sedlescomb ?, Sussex, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:36

the above are just some of many random ones from the free website - www.familysearch.org

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Apr 2014 12:03

Many thanks for trying to help here. The problem is that there are extra Bourners. I do have chr. for the children of Stephen Bourner 1763-1839 and his brother (my ancestor) James Bourner 1752-1839. I also know their other siblings - all born in Battle.
I find Maria Bourner - daughter of Stephen marrying at Salehurst in 1818 to a James Bourner. Maria's cousin Ann (girl born at Crowhurst - d of James) witnessed this marriage. She was to go on to marry Maria's brother Stephen 1795-1850. They married at Hartfield 1818 and return to Battle having two sons there. In the 1840s they move on to have a farm and mill at Heathfield. Stephen drowned in shallow water at his farm 1850. Ann remarried at Dallington 1851 to George Gosling and died there in 1858.
This is the life of Ann daughter of 1752 James Bourner therefore BUT another Ann of similar age marries at Crowhurst in 1817 to William Hammond. witnesses were Maria and Stephen Bourner (the brother and sister - children of 1763 Stephen). This Ann claims birth in Battle around the same time tat James daughter was born in Crowhurst (confused or what!!). She goes on as Mrs Hammond at Crowhurst into the 1860s.
Going back to Maria. Her husband James Bourner who married her in Salehurst in 1818. Claimed birth in Battle in the census returns and to be born c 1795. Again like the Battle Ann marrying at Crowhurst to William Hammond there is no baptismal record for him. Maria and her husband James follow around another couple - James and Harriet Bourner. This James was born at Battle in 1784 and was the son of 1752 James. 1784 James married Harriet Winborn.
As Harriet's husband changes occupation and moves with her from parish to parish so do Maria and her James. Both James become innkeepers.
When I last spot James and Harriet 1824 they seem to then go to the Camberwell area. At least children of James and Harriet marry there and Harriet appears in the census 1851 and 1861. She dies in the 1860s.
James is clearly around in the 1828 period as he appears to be present at one of his daughter's marriages. I cannot find them in the 1841 census
Meanwhile Maria and her James also ventured into what we would call London. They appear back in Sussex - Maresfield for 1841. The 1851 census reveals London birthplace for quite a few children and I have been able to find baptisms for those.
I know that 1752 James and his 1763 brother Stephen had a brother called William. William died in Battle in 1824. He had married in 1794 to Elizabeth Harmer. I ind no record of these two ever having children but cearly someone had the c1795 James who married Maria and the Ann who married William Hammond.
I know that 1752 James' wife Elizabeth (Lade) was buried at Battle in 1847. There is another Elizabeth Bourner buried in 1843. I now have the death certificate and she does fit for Elizabeth (Harmer) Bourner.
The certificate received yesterday tells me that William had not farmed like the rest of his brothers and his father but had been an innkeeper.
It does put a knew twist on things as William and Elizabeth although dying in back in Battle may have travelled about a bit in the patch of time they had together 1794 until 1824. Perhaps c1795 James and the extra Ann were not born in Battle at all.
I know thay are not born in Sussex - I do have a good set of records for the county - not reliant on the Mormons who do not cover a great deal of the county regards parish records.
There are another set of Bourners that puzzle me. These are children supposedly born to John Bourner 1788 (son of James) and his wife Mary Mantle who married in 1809. They had children in Crowhurst and Catsfield.
They emigrated in 1838 to America taking 14 of their children with them.
The baptismal records show them supposedly chr. Edgar Bourner in 1810. He did not travel to America with them but clearly the Ohio family remembered him as mention of Edgar appears on the findagrave site. Much else including ages of the various Bourners there is inaccurate but it is clear the family members themselves had become adrift of how old they were.
For anyone who is researching the same merry clan. John and Mary's son Lester who did sail with them probably died before 1850. The Lester appearing in Ohio newspapers 1855 and popping up in Ohio, Iowa and Missouri is not the same man (will continue as out of time)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Apr 2014 13:35

nudging