Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dividing a family tree into component families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnJ

JohnJ Report 31 Mar 2014 16:49

How would I go about forming individual family trees from the various component families within the overall tree on a large(ish - 1050 names) - family tree. If I have, for instance, eight named family inputs into 'me' then, OK, I could GEDCOM my tree eight times with eight different family names - would I then have to manually delete all individuals which did not relate to that particular name from each ... or is there a 'proper' way of achieving this?

Any thoughts in regard to this will be appreciated - John

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2014 17:47

As I understand it you can't split your Genes tree but maybe this old link will help:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/776863

You also have posted this twice so please could you delete the other one.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2014 01:22

duplicate posting, see

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1338996

BOTH now have replies with suggestions.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2014 13:37

Hello William and welcome to the Community boards.

Note: I will let William know that he has replies to his query :-)