Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Apr 2014 11:52

Has anyone had a DNA done on ancestry? If so, what did you learn from it? :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2014 22:31

not worth the money!

the tests will not tell you who you are related to ...................... they will tell you that you ancestry includes 60% Scandinavian, 10% African ........................ or some such!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2014 22:32

that's just my opinion of course :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Apr 2014 22:40

The only point is if there is a research project going on, such as looking for descendents in a certain family, or how much Viking heritage we have etc. Done in isolation it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. We are all African if you go back far enough after all!
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2014 11:40

I wouldn't even consider wasting my money on it.................

Kense

Kense Report 7 Apr 2014 12:13

Basically the DNA tests offered by Ancestry do not help in compiling your tree. In any case they only work on the paternal line or the maternal line.

The tests look for markers in the DNA. A marker is are caused by a mutation in the DNA of a single person. So you are related to anyone with the same set of markers. Of course as Jan says we are all descended from the same woman who lived in Africa.

I had the tests done by Britain's DNA and was quite satisfied with the results, but I knew they would not have any bearing on my tree. I certainly don't consider it a waste of money.

The results don't tell you that you are 40% Viking or whatever, since only the two lines are being tested on Ancestry. The results may tell you that, say, 25% of the people in Denmark share the same markers as you (that's quite a lot of cousins). Such figures can change as more people are tested.

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Apr 2014 13:33

Thanks, think I'll wait a while. I have traced my mothers tree back to Lady Jane grey and beyond, also I think I can go back to the Vikings. I just wondered if DNA would confirm this and I would have proof to put with my tree.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Apr 2014 22:32

As the Lady Jane Grey who was very temporarily Queen of England had no offspring, presumably she wasn't a direct ancestor?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2014 01:46

.................. unless there is some illegitimate child that no-one knows about :-)

She was not married for long enough before being executed to have a lawful child with her husband.

jax

jax Report 8 Apr 2014 02:27

Are you in the US then?

The AncestryDNA product is not currently available for purchase outside of the United States. As a valued Ancestry.com customer, you will be notified once AncestryDNA is available in your country.

Please note that dna.ancestry.com is a website operated in the United States and your use of the dna.ancestry.com site and the DNA products offered are subject to United States law and the AncestryDNA Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Apr 2014 08:44

Do you have documented proof of every step between you and Lady Jane Grey, who did not actually have any legitimate children?

She was 16 when she died..............having been married in 1553 to Lord Guildford Dudley.

. She and her husband were executed on the same day, on the 12th of February 1554, her husband on Tower Hill, and herself within the Tower an hour afterwards, amidst universal sympathy and compassion.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Apr 2014 10:23

In the US. more and more people are using DNA for genealogical purposes.

As we in this country are far less likely to want to give anyone our DNA for any reason, I do not think that it will take off here in the way it has over there.

For some reason, many people think/believe that a DNA test will miraculously find them their long lost relations. Sadly, it does not happen like that.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Apr 2014 10:27

Lady Jane's sister Catherine did have offspring - managed to conceive the second child whilst imprisoned in the Tower of London for marrying clandestinely without the Queen's permission and getting pregnant with the first child.

I wouldn't have liked to have been in Sir Edward Warner (the Lieutenant of the Tower)'s shoes when news of the second pregnancy emerged...

Elizabeth I being renowned for her fiery temper!

So maybe Eileen is related via a sibling line.

Despite the fact that Lady Jane did end up in the household of Sir Thomas Seymour (executed for dallying with the Lady/Princess Elizabeth), it seems pretty unlikely she had any illegitimate offspring during her very brief life.

Eileen

Eileen Report 8 Apr 2014 12:50

My ancestor was John Grey, married to Elizabeth Woodville. As children we were told that Jane was in our ancestry but didn't know how. An uncle in the 1900's tried to trace it but ran out of money so had to give up. They didn't have computers in those days.
We also have Elizabeth Ferrers who was born at Tamworth Castle. The Ferrers go back a long way as do the Greasley's, also in my tree. I was able to google a lot of names and have gone back to the Vikings. <3

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Apr 2014 13:16

Looks like Jane Grey was the great great grand daughter of John Grey and Elizabeth Woodville, via their elder son Thomas Grey 1st Marquis of Dorset (c1455-1503).

Thomas Grey's son, also Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset 1477-1530 was the father of Henry Grey, (1517-1554), who married Frances Brandon, daughter of Henry VIII's sister Mary Tudor and Charles Brandon, the parents of Ladys Jane, Catherine and Mary Grey.

Eileen

Eileen Report 8 Apr 2014 13:27

Yes Kucinta, I do have these in my tree. It has been very interesting finding these people and so much easier than relatives born a lot later. My Gran was a Smith and one of her relatives further back married a clay, a clay wed a Greasley which led me to the Greys.
I was never interested in History at school, but now I am.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Apr 2014 18:49

Lady Jane Grey and her sisters were also great great granddaughters of Elizabeth Woodville and her second husband, Edward IV, via their mother, Frances Brandon, who was the daughter of Mary Tudor, (sister to Henry VIII) and Charles Brandon.

Mary Tudor's parents were Henry VII and his wife, Elizabeth of York, who was a daughter of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville.

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 20 Apr 2014 18:04

Whether to have a DNA test or not depends on your particular circumstances.
I have had one done with familytreeDNA.com as an 1869 newspaper article about the death of my 2 x great grandfather alludes to family in Australia.
I have absolutely no idea who these people are or whether they are still there, By having my DNA on file, hopefully at some time in the future, I will get a match that will start an avenue of investigation.
DO NOT have a DNA test if you think it will immediately identify unaccounted for members of your family.
I bet the same people above who have made negative comments also poo-poo'd the introduction of the Internet, computers, mobile phones, the printing press, & the wheel!!

jax

jax Report 20 Apr 2014 18:36

I have seen posts on Ancestry.com (US) page on facebook where they give a list of countries...how does this help?

One I found yesterday

Ancestry DNA in..... I am:
Ashkenazi
Bantu
North African
Mali
English
Irish/Scottish
Portuguese
Eastern European
Greek
Russian
Scandinavian
Middle Eastern

I have traced all my lines back to before 1800 some back to 1600 and not one was born outside of England....I mean England not any other country of the UK.

If I got a list like that, where on earth would I start?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Apr 2014 22:24

Slartibast said ................

"I bet the same people above who have made negative comments also poo-poo'd the introduction of the Internet, computers, mobile phones, the printing press, & the wheel!!"

as usual slamming people, and making unwarranted ignorant remarks about those you know nothing about!

FYI ........ I happen to be a trained geneticist, AND have used computers since 1963

In addition, I've also been involved in the world of printing since at least 1970

That rather knocks your theory on the head, doesn't it?