Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone recognize this cause of death please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 4 May 2014 01:15

The death is a scottish one from 1896 for a 31yr old female. It appears to be written as Plultisis she had a child in the Jan of the same year.

Thanks all
Gypsyjoe

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 4 May 2014 01:20

Could it be Plithisis?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 May 2014 01:37

it's phthisis :-)

it's the older term for tuberculosis and because that was such a common disease, you will often see this on death certificates

sometimes it will specify e.g.
phthisis pulmonalis (of the lungs)
phthisis abdominalis (inflammation of the mucous membranes of the intestines)

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 4 May 2014 02:52

Thanks JoonieCloonie at first we thought it was supposed to be cystitis

Hugh

Hugh Report 5 May 2014 23:05

Another possibility is Pleuritis (AKA Pleurisy), a lung disease. Hard to tell without seeing the scan of the Death Entry. Some old Registrars had terrible writing !

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 5 May 2014 23:43

Thanks Hugh but the writing doesn't look like it has euri before the t it only looks like it has one letter, it's too bad there is no way of posting on one's thread parts of images like this for all to analyze.

Regards
Gypsyjoe

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 May 2014 04:42

I don't think there's much doubt really :-)

you were reading

phth

as

plult
or
plith

just because one doesn't often see PHTH at the beginning of a word!

readling ph as pli is very natural, given how it would have been written and the natural desire to make a sensible sounding thing out of the spiderweb of letters

by the way, it has apparently now been established that pregnancy does not have the effect of slowing the progress of tuberculosis, but your outcome there - a young woman who died shortly after giving birth - is one I have seen more than once

I wonder whether possibly women who were poor (tuberculosis is a disease of the poor to the extent that it is spread easily in cramped living conditions, for example) had better nutrition when they were pregnant ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2014 06:39

My great grandfather was married twice.

His first wife died of Phthisis about 3 months after the birth of her 3rd child.

He apparently was not present at her death as it was registered by a neighbour "present at death".

He then married again about 2 years later, and my grandfather was the 10th child of that marriage.

Kense

Kense Report 6 May 2014 09:59

Although I agree with Joonie and don't think there is any doubt in this case, it is possible to upload a scan to keepsafe and make it viewable by everyone and give it a distinct name to use as a keyword search. You then post a message in the thread giving the search details

I have just done it for part of a certificate that mentions phthisis. If you search for members photos, keyword phthisis and security "shared with everyone" you should find it.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 6 May 2014 10:03

Jooniecloonie that's interesting about the poor folk but from what I can tell they weren't that poor the husband was a potter and was part of a family that had a potter factory till the brothers fell out.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 6 May 2014 10:05

kenSe

I'm not that tech savy and you already have me confused. Unless you mean I could past it to something like ancestry and then post the link.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2014 12:36

Keepsafe is a GR facility.................that's why Ken mentioned it, I would imagine

Kense

Kense Report 6 May 2014 19:17

GypsyJoe, Reggie is right, Keepsafe is a Genes facility accessed at the top of the page in the second row.

You use that to upload a photo make sure it is visible to everybody and give it a name that can be used as a keyword in a search.

The search query is accessed on the same row at the far right. Click on member photos and documents and then fill in the keyword and "shared with everyone" so anyone heklping can access it if they need to.

Admittedly it takes a bit more effort than just pasting a picture into a posting.

Sorry for the delay in replying it was due to an unexpected visit from a two year old grandchild, which has kept me busy for most of the day.