Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Trumble and Thomas Jennings...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:09

Margaret Trumble born abt 1782 in Bermondsey, I think. She married Thomas Jennings, would like to know who the parents were of these two persons ?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jun 2014 21:13

This one?

It's important to give dates & locations

Name: Margaret Trumble
Spouse Name: Thomas Jennings
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 18 May 1807
Parish: Horselydown St John
Borough: Southwark
Register Type: Parish Register

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:13

Seems to be the one.
:-D I had no idea where they were married, so, thanks for that!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jun 2014 21:15

Just a possibility:

Name: Margaret Morris Surmbule
[Margaret Morris Trumbule]
[Margaret Morris Trumble]
Baptism Date: 2 Sep 1781
Parish: St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey
County: Surrey
Borough: Southwark
Parent(s): John Surmbule,
Ann Surmbule
Record Type: Baptism
Register Type: Parish Register

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:16

This is on my mother's side of the family. Where does that surname: Trumble come from, look very much like Trouble. lol

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:17

I think that looks like her birth too, wow! :-D

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:18

Seems the surname was changed, or written down wrong...

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:20

Not sure what surname to follow now... Trumble or the Surmbule ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Jun 2014 21:22

Looking at the 1807 marriage then one witness is also a Trumble but not sure if its Jh for John or something completely different

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:24

So, it seems very much to be: Trumble, what a strange surname!

G007

G007 Report 10 Jun 2014 21:42

So, it seems Margaret Trumble parents were: John Trumble and Ann surname unknown at the moment...

G007

G007 Report 11 Jun 2014 00:18

Could Ann surname be: Burns or McAdams ? I think Margaret Trumble parents were John Trumble and Ann McAdams, hope this is correct ?

Potty

Potty Report 11 Jun 2014 10:57

Two of the witnesses to Margaret's marriage were McAdams - Jas (James?) and M. .

There is this marriage:

Name:John Trumble , batchelor
Spouse Name:Ann McAdams, spinster & Minor
Record Type:Marriage
Event Date:25 Dec 1770
Parish:Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene
Borough:Southwark
Register Type:Parish Register

Witnesses: Daniel (I think!) McAdams & John Morris.

Margaret's baptism gives Morris as her middle name

The Trumble/Burn marriage was in Durham.

So, it looks very much that Ann McAdams was Margaret's mother.

G007

G007 Report 11 Jun 2014 12:37

Thanks very much for that info Potty. Very pleased with that, seems I'm on the right family line... Interesting about this John Morris and her having this as her middle name, so who was this John Morris to Margaret Trumble ? Hard to find the answer to that one, perhaps her cousin ? Now I have this info, will be interesting to see how further I can get back with this line... or have I reach a brick wall... lol The person Margaret married: Thomas Jennings, need to check who his parents were, if anyone can find them too, that would be brill!

G007

G007 Report 11 Jun 2014 12:43

So, John Trumble must have been born abt 1768 ?

Potty

Potty Report 11 Jun 2014 12:57

Born a bit earlier than 1768, I would think. He married in 1770 and wasn't shown as a minor, so aged 21 or over, so 1749 or before.

Trumble seems to be quite a common name in the Durham area.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Jun 2014 13:10

Found this (the application for the Marriage Licence for John Trumble and Ann). Although this record gives their ages, I can't see them anywhere on the image but it does confirm Ann's father as Daniel McAdam, Shipwright. John's occupation is given as Mariner.

London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921
about John Trumble

Name:John Trumble
Birth Year:abt 1740
Event Date:23 Dec 1769
Parish:Bermondsey, St Mary Magdalene
Spouse's Name:Ann Mcadams
Spouse's Age:19
Spouse's Parish:Bermondsey, St Mary Magdalene
Reference Number:DW/MP/065/712

G007

G007 Report 11 Jun 2014 16:27

How very interesting Potty, thank you very very much! So, Daniel was her father a Shipwright, and John Trumble was a Mariner, I never knew any of this! Wow!!! Great Potty!

G007

G007 Report 11 Jun 2014 18:02

It could be that Daniel McAdams married Margaret Morris, and that John Morris is linked to her, and that is how she got the middle name: Morris. Also, a Martha Whittle seem to be linked to a Daniel McAdams. However, seems very much the case that Margaret mother was: Margaret Morris. But not 100% sure, the name Morris is a big clue though! :-D Need further help with this...

Potty

Potty Report 12 Jun 2014 11:56

I would be pretty sure that Margaret is the daughter of Daniel McAdams and Margaret Morris. It is very common in Scottish families to give the mother's maiden name as a second name. The Marriage Bond gives Daniel's occupation as Shipwright.

The marriage to Martha Whittle (1823) is too late to be that Daniel (he would have been about 100!). Possibly related but there is another Daniel with a wife Margaret living in Rotherhithe at about the same time.

Not finding any baptism for Ann but, of course, she could have been born anywhere, possibly Scotland or even Ireland!