Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unknown next of kin

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 10:47

Good morning, it has been a few years since I last posted a message, hopefully someone will be able to help in my latest quest.

Today I received my Grandfathers Army Service records and it states his NOK as an Aunt, which was a bit of a surprise because we always thought he was an orphan.

The Aunts surname was Finn and she lived in Taylor Street, Gorton, Manchester.

Are you or do you know anyone who is related to this lady.

Thank you.

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 10:58

Welcome to the boards

could you tell us her first name plus your grandfathers name please

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 11:42

Thank you.

The next of kin entry is just Mrs. Finn, Aunt. My Grandfathers name was Michael Joseph Leonard.

This would have been around 1922/23.

Many thanks.

Potty

Potty Report 2 Jul 2014 11:48

When and where was your grandfather born?

Potty

Potty Report 2 Jul 2014 11:53

Is there a house No for Taylor St? We might be able to find out who was living there in 1911.

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 12:11

Is this her

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

154 Taylor St Gorton Manchetser, South Manchester, Lancashire, England

Mary Finn Head Widow Female 61 1850 - Ireland Roscommon Cas RE
Image Transcription

- Fletcher Lodger Widow Female 36 1875 Ladies Mantle Maker England Cambridgeshire Wi Hest
Image Transcription

Berty Fletcher Son Single Male 13 1898 School Manchester Lancashire

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 12:18

Thank you all so much.

My Gradfather was born in 1904 in Tipperary. I know he was still in Eire in 1920/21.

The number in Taylor Street is 154.

Just have to find out how they were related.

Thank you again.

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 12:31

A maiden name for Mary Finn would be a great help if possible.

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 12:39

Not knowing where and who she married could prove difficult

there is this one in Ireland....but wouldn't like to say that was deff her

Name: Mary Murphy
Spouse: Martin Finn
Other: Mary Wahlers
Marriage: 21 Nov 1877 - New Ross, Wexford, Ireland
Other: 21 Nov 1877

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 12:43

As a matter of interest how long did it take to receive your grandfathers army records since ordering them

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 12:44

Hi Jax,

I really don't know. I was looking really for the surname Leonard, in Clonmel. As I said I always thought he was an orphan, although I do know he put his fathers name on his marriage certificate as John Leonard, Farmer, deceased. I was hoping when I got his army records all would be revealed, how wrong can you be.!!!!!

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 2 Jul 2014 12:46

You could look for your grandfather on the 1911 Irish census, which is free

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 12:47

Hi Jax,

I ordered them in May and got them today. If it is Army records you want this is the address:-

Administrative Officer,
Historical Disclosures Branch,

MS Support Division, Army Personnel Centre, MP 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street,Glasgow G2 8EX.
You can print off the forms on the Gov.UK website, requesting army records, it costs £30.

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 12:50

Hello Ricochet,

Tried that a very long time ago, zero results. But thanks.

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 12:52

Thanks Maureen not too long then, heard it could be almost a year...may send for my grandfathers then

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 2 Jul 2014 12:54

An orphan is a child without living parents, not one completely without relatives

How did you find out when and where he was born?

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 13:04

Yes I appreciate that. His date/place of birth is on his Army records. His NOK is given as an Aunt, who no-one has ever mentioned. I have written to Rev Barbara Fryday who is in charge on Parish Records for all Churchs in Clonmel but unfortunately I have never received a reply. I really have no idea where to go next.

Regards Maureen

Potty

Potty Report 2 Jul 2014 13:08

I can't find a birth for him in Tipperary or find him on the 1911 census, although there are quite a few possibles in the rest of Ireland. Was he a Catholic and did he marry and die in Ireland?

MAUREEN

MAUREEN Report 2 Jul 2014 13:17

Hello Potty,

Yes he was a Catholic. He moved to the UK about 1922/23 this is when he enlisted in the British Army. He was married in the UK in 1927 and died in the UK in 1980. I have over the years found it extremely difficult to find anything out pre 1922, he just doesn't appear to exist and he certainly didin't talk about any relatives. My Nan told me he was sent to an orphange somewhere in Ireland, but where it is anyones guess.

Maureen.

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2014 14:28

This is the only death I can see

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
about Michael John Leonard

Name:
Michael John Leonard

Birth Date:
1 May 1904

Date of Registration:
Dec 1980