Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bridget Leonard in IRELAND

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 15 Jul 2014 08:03

Hi can anyone help please I am struggling
Bridget Leonard born 17/3/1904,Milford,Donegal,Ireland
parents were Patrick and Margaret Leonard who lived Ramelton.C/Donegal
Bridget had a sister known has Lizzie who spent her later years in Glasgow she was born 1909-Lizzie has confirmed that Bridget spent her life in Ireland and thought that Bridget`s letters came from either the Portrush or Fermanagh region.
we do know that Bridget gave birth out of wedlock and then had to give her daughter for adoption,Bridget`s daughter was named Mary and born Ireland 16/4/1923,she was adopted by a Strabane family called Barr,she died in 1983.
it is known that Bridget worked for a time in the workhouse at Colerain in the late 1920`s
and that's all I have so can anyone help with Bridget-please

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Jul 2014 11:28

Elizabeth, I can't help you personally, just suggesting you add 'Ireland' to your heading.
Would it be fair to assume you are trying to find out what happened to Bridget?
Jan

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 16 Jul 2014 23:58

Hello Jan
Thank you for your advise,and yes we really do need to find her
tahnks

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 18 Jul 2014 01:49

Elizabeth,
Bridget Leonard 17 Mar 1904 registered in Milford.
GRO records show her mother's maiden name was McCarron, but I cannot find any other children born to this mother and there is no Elizabeth/ Lizzie Leonard that I can find.

The Ramelton link interests me as my mum was born and raised there, but there are no families called Leonard in Ramelton at 1911.

I can find only 2 Bridget Leonards of the correct age on Irish census return of 1911.
One does live in Donegal ( Arran Islands) father Peter, mother Margaret with siblings Mary and Patrick but no Lizzie.
The other was a boarder in Londonderry with her mother Margaret and siblings Catherine and 2 yr old Elizabeth.
This census states all in the family were born in Co Londonderry

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Jul 2014 18:14

Hello ,thanks for your reply this is what we have(with proof via certs)
Patrick Leonard (died b 1906)married Cecelia,they had the following children1/Denis b Sligo 1873,married Cecelia Gillen 1912- 2/ Kate b 1877,died 1905- 3/Annie b 1890,married Roger Patton 1910(in 1911 Cecelia and Maggie Ellen are living with Annie and Roger)-4/Margaret Ellen b 1893 died 1973 and -5/PATRICK,he married Margaret McCorran in 1906 C/Donegal-and they had 2 children BRIDGET born Milford17/3/1904 and sister Elizabeth known has Lizzie born 14/9/1909 at Letterkenny/Donegal(we know that Lizzie and Bridget were still alive in the 1960`s has grandma Bridget wrote often to her but when Lizzie was rehoused in the rehousing scheme of Glasgow, she never received any more letters from Bridget
back to Bridget on the 16/4/1923 she gave birth illegitimately to a daughter named Mary,and when Mary was several months old ,Bridget put her up for adoption and Mary was given her birth cert when older.
It has been mentioned by Lizzie,that Bridget may have wrote the letters from either the Portrush or Derry area. and at one time she was dating a man from Portrush area or perhaps Waterside area,we do know that Bridget worked at the Coleraine w/house in 1920`s.
Lizzie passed away in the 1990`s

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Jul 2014 18:27

P.S
Patrick Leonard father of Bridget died 1WW