Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

l don"t know whether to be angry or upset

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fregar

fregar Report 30 Jul 2014 17:50

l found a relative on Find Ancestors, and confirmed that we had a match, she had no information on the family history, which l had from present day till 1733, so set to type the family tree for her, the last message I asked if she had any questions, and that l would love to hear from her, all I got was a thumbs up sign, no thank you, a thumbs up, thank you for letting me have a moan. Fregar

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jul 2014 18:04

Sadly and very frustratingly we have all been there. Got our hopes up that we may have found a family connection and it will fit in the family tree.

We sometimes forget that our ancestors siblings too went on to have their own family trees so seeing a common connection in the husband and wife is very exciting.

Sadly some dont have the same enthusiasm
:-(

Flip

Flip Report 30 Jul 2014 19:46

Had a similar experience with two Canadian "second cousins" - they've copied all my ancestry tree info but never gave me anything. Shame my tree is now private and I've since found some of the info copied is wrong :-D :-D

One of them even had the cheek to invite me to be a face-book friend recently .... like s*d off :-P

Sympathise with you Fregar, but it happens. Give a little and see if they are willing to share their info with you, or are they just tree builders. Think most of us have been there at some point.

fregar

fregar Report 30 Jul 2014 21:03

Thanks Shirley and Flip.

brigid

brigid Report 31 Jul 2014 08:21

Was this before or after you'd sent them your tree details ?
Could it just be a temporary thanks while they haven't got time to reply but want to acknowledge you ? Younger people seem to communicate like this .I do hope they'll get back at a later date...if they see this they'll certainly feel guilty .

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 Jul 2014 11:20

It is sad to say, that many of us on here have been 'scrumped' in this way.

Find a new rellie, great joy, exchange a few messages, offering to help each other, you blindly give them access to your tree, and email copies of precious photos. Then sit twiddling your thumbs waiting for the promised photos etc., from them.

Then comes the sickening reality, you have been mugged.

Brigid, you are being far too kind :-)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 31 Jul 2014 21:40

In a strange way reading this thread has made me feel a bit calmer as I too was feeling very annoyed about being used. A few years ago I got a match with a relative I didn't know existed and was quite thrilled to be in contact with her. She was just starting her research and looking at her tree I realised she had the wrong family on one line, easily done, same surname and area but not our ancestors. I spent hours sorting it all out and emailing her, what did I get in return? Nothing, not even a promised photo! As soon as I had it all sorted she never contacted me again and didn't reply to my emails! Do these people ever think how hurtful they are being? I know find that she has let someone copy our tree who despite being told has the wrong family has gone ahead and stuck all my relatives in with hers! Grhhhh!! Thank goodness I have found some nice relations and we have shared a lot.

brigid

brigid Report 31 Jul 2014 23:36

I like to look at positive and maybe some have excuses; no-longer on site . have technical problems have become homeless or have died . One day maybe you'll find a bunch of thank you's that went into computer hyper space .
Ok that is a rose-tinted but I hope f karma will come to you for all the ungrateful/lazy/ forgetful people there will be ones who do go out of their way to do things for you .

i discovered today that a 2nd cousin made a huge family scroll with ancestors from 1700's to descendents til 1999 when he completed it . He made a copy FOR every single family member who'd helped his research ...my father was not particularly interested in family history but passed it to my sister .

I have seen people on here offering translations ...to go to addresses or obtain documents for people giving examples of where how to follow leads and taking time to explain procedures in simple terms . or just sympathising with other people's negative experiences. POSITIVE THINKING RULES OK

welshbird201

welshbird201 Report 2 Aug 2014 11:27

I too had a similar experience I found a person connected to my family. The man concerned was the g grandson of my g grand father's sister. He confirmed we had a connection but refused to open his tree saying we were not a close enough connection. When I pointed out my g grandfather his g grand mother where brother and sister he said he wasn't interested.
Ah well there's nowt as queer as folk.

Welshbird xx

jax

jax Report 2 Aug 2014 15:03

Why should he open his tree to you Welshbird?

One of my 1st cousins asked to view my private tree on ancestry.....do you think I should have opened it to her then?

Yes half of my tree would be the same as hers.....why should I hand it to her

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Aug 2014 00:25

I agree with Jax ................

why should anyone open their tree to anyone else??????????///

I certainly don't!

I WILL provide information on the immediate connection ............... but only once I have determined through an exchange of pms that there really is a connection.

As many people have said .....................

once bitten, twice shy!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 4 Aug 2014 10:55

A subject close to my heart.

Re: Error corrections (Flip & Kathryn)
And do I bother to let the person(s) know when I have made a subsequent correction? Do I heck.

Copying wrong data is rife on the Ancestry Public Trees.