Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper archives 1939

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belinda

Belinda Report 22 Aug 2014 15:45

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has access to the burnley express newspaper archives. I am looking for a story 29/7 & 8/8 1939 in regards to william black, albert johnson and arthur smethurst. I tried to buy it with credits but it has come up blank.

It seems I had a few rogues in my family and would love to know more about them!

Really hope someone can help!

Thank you in advance

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2014 16:15

I can't copy this article but will type it for you (may take quite a while):-

29/7/1939

After Joseph Sweeney (22) Belgrave Street, Colne had been committed to Manchester Quarter Sessions by Manchester City Magistrates last Thursday on charges of office, shop, factory and warehouse-breaking he was fined 20s. and disqualified for driving for a year for motoring offences.

Sweeney who was allowed bail appeared with William Black (26) of Collyhurst Road, Collyhurst; Arthur Smethurst (19) and Albert Johnson (24) both of Monsall Road, Harpurhey.

No evidence was offered against Smethurst and he was discharged. Black and Johnson were committed for trial and allowed bail.

Detective Inspector Cotton said that at Johnson's house about 1.30 am. on July 14th he found a large quantity of property including a fur coat, jewellery and musical instruments. Sweeney was found partly undressed in a bedroom where there was jewellery.

Neither Sweeney or Black had anything to say before being committed for trial, but Johnson said he did not know the goods were stolen.

The motoring summonses arose from an accident on June 14th in which Sweeney was injured. It was alleged that he used a motor cycle while not covered by insurance, failed to produce his driving licence and though an "L" driver, did not display "L" plates.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2014 16:19

I can't see the other article. There is one on 28th August 1939 but it seems to be about another person.

Kath. x

Belinda

Belinda Report 22 Aug 2014 17:12

Oh wow thank you so much!! This is the same article I was trying to look at, but it wouldnt let me!

I saw there was another on the 8th august but couldnt see that one neither. thanks for this Kath, much appreciated! X