Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 28 Aug 2014 14:31

Can anyone tell me please what is the easiest and cheapest way of searching Parish Records? :-)

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 28 Aug 2014 14:52

I am particularly interested in Bath and Bath Weston. Thank you.

jax

jax Report 28 Aug 2014 15:12

Have you tried

https://familysearch.org/

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Aug 2014 15:13

If you have an LDS Family History Centre near to where you live then they are great places to look at parish records. If they don't keep the records that you are interested in they will order them for you on microfishe or microfilm and keep them for for about a month to give you time to view them. It only costs a few pounds to do this and the staff at all the centres are very helpful.

There are some parish records online on Findmypast.

Kath. x

jax

jax Report 28 Aug 2014 15:14

Or try googling

http://www.batharchives.co.uk/family_history/parish_registers.aspx

Kense

Kense Report 28 Aug 2014 15:29

Or
http://wsom-opc.org.uk/

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 28 Aug 2014 15:29

Thank you jax and Kathleen for such quick responses. Any additional thoughts would also be very welcome. :-)

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 28 Aug 2014 15:32

Thank you, Ken.

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Aug 2014 06:17

Owen - not parish records but take this e.g. from the GRO index:
Births Sep 1837
PAINE Female Bath 11 11

There's a local index for Bath which is always worth checking.
Here's what is says at: http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/

Bath Birth indexes for the years: 1837
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
PAINE (girl) Daughter Of Henry Batheaston Bath HANHAM BEA/1/004

Alan

Alan Report 29 Aug 2014 09:03

You could try, On line Parish Clerks.

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 29 Aug 2014 09:51

My thanks to mgnv and AlanOnTheWirral as well for making the effort to help me. Thanks again.

David

David Report 29 Aug 2014 21:54

The only serious way of searching parish records is to visit your nearest record office, very few records have been transcribed for viewing via the net.
Dave

jax

jax Report 29 Aug 2014 22:05

I do not think that is quite correct David

I have managed to find quite a lot on my family without stepping outside of my front door.

what about the people who live abroad ?
are they expected to get a flight over to the UK?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2014 05:28

David ...............

I think you are not quite correct in what you say

The number of parish records you can find on the internet is quite incredible.

I grant you, some counties in England are better than others .............

Lancashire OPC are fantastic!

It is quite amazing what I have found in the form of Parish Records, going all the way back to the 16th century for some ancestors ....................... all without having to pay for a trip back to England

Please be careful about saying that "the only serious way of searching parish records is to visit your nearest record office" .................

.............. it comes over as a slap in the face for those of us who are serious researchers but do not live in the UK.

Kense

Kense Report 30 Aug 2014 11:26

Visiting your nearest record office is only useful if some of your family come from the same county.

However if they do then the amount of information available at the record office is so much more than is currently on the web.

Also even where transcriptions are available on the internet there are often no supporting images which can be really useful in resolving issues.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2014 16:49

Ken

I agree with you that going to the original source, and seeing the original documents, is the best, and preferable, way .................

but not all of us can do that!

It is not only people like myself who live overseas, but also those who live at teh other end of the UK from their ancestors, or the elderly and housebound who could not probably even get to their local record office without great difficulty.

Those 3 categories account for a large percentage of GR members ................

I still maintain that one has to be very careful about stating "the only serious way is ......"

.................. it came over as insulting the standard of research done by those who could not visit the local office

Kense

Kense Report 3 Sep 2014 10:22

Yes I see your point Sylvia. Indeed I am fortunate that the Cornish images are on-line and free as well as transcriptions, as 25% of my family is from that area.

Hopefully David did not mean it to be or sound insulting.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2014 17:58

Ken .............

Hopefully, he did not mean it that way ................................

but as he has not returned I (we) have no way of knowing for sure.

Like you, I am very fortunate that Lancashire opc are on-line and free .................. I think that at least 25% of my family is from there.

Unfortunately, not all the images are online, but at least the transcribed version is on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

I also occasionally get help from Lancs opc for one of OH's ancestral lines that moved back and forth from Lancashire to Westmorland with great regularity. They were mainly Quakers and so subject to discrimination, hence the moving ............. but they did get married, baptised and buried in the CofE

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Sep 2014 16:06

Also have you looked to see what the Bath and Avon Family History Society holds.

I used to be a member, and of all the FHS' I joined this was by far the best.

They have a great website, very user friendly.

OwenRhys

OwenRhys Report 5 Sep 2014 16:36

Thank you for the tip, DazedConfused - I haven't tried that one either.