Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stratford Catholic Chapel c 1854

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 2 Sep 2014 12:56

On my maternal grt grt grandparents marriage certificate the marrage was solemnized in the Stratford Catholic Chapel, West Ham. 29 Jan 1854.
The groom, was born in ireland (according to later censuses) , though the address for both him and his bride is given as Roscoe Street, Plaistow Marsh, West Ham.
I'm going to go to the Essex record office to see if the Banns offers any more information, but I do not know which church/parish to search :-S

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Sep 2014 13:33

I googled, and found

http://www.stratfordchurches.co.uk/churches/stfrancis.html

I hope this helps you

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 2 Sep 2014 13:59

Thanks Jacqueline, though a church by that name is not in their online list I have written to a contact on the website. Thanks again :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2014 04:56

CF

grooms and brides quite often said that they had the same address .....................

if they were from separate parishes, Banns had to be called 3 times prior to the wedding in each parish.

Each Parish had to be paid to call the Banns ........ therefore it was cheaper to say they both lived on the same street :-) ................ sometimes they actually give the same street number.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 3 Sep 2014 19:07

thanks SylviaInCanada
I thought that's how it might be.
But I didn't know that there was a payment for the banns to be read, I've learned something new today.
Great great grandaddy is a real problem.Given the problems with searching in Ireland and the fact that on later censuses his birthplace is identified only as Kilkenny the search is difficult if not impossible,

I'm not one to give up easily but he is definitely trying my patience.

Still waiting to hear from the Catholic Office. :-(

jax

jax Report 3 Sep 2014 21:20

When we married in the 1980s my husband to be and I did live together, but we didn't want to marry in our local registry office so he said he lived with his parents (area we wanted to get married in) and I said I lived with mine