Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long shot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 2 Sep 2014 22:22

Please can someone tell me , the best way to start this off.. I'm searching for a friend who lost her mother when she was quite young.. She believes her mother married about 1964..in Scotland .maybe Glasgow.

Her mother was Helen Doig and she married an Alistaire lawson .

She knows her mum had a sister catherine and brother William.

I know this isn't much to go on, but she's desperate to start looking for some family now.

Any help would be very much appreciated .

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Sep 2014 22:30

Have not got any spare credits on Scotlandspeople to check for you but a free search does give a possible match in 1966

BUT you would not be able to view the image online

Ellen

Ellen Report 2 Sep 2014 22:31

Do you have to subscribe to this site please ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Sep 2014 22:36

This is the marriage:

1966 LAWSON ALISTAIR M DOIG HELEN ROBB
GLASGOW GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/08 0557

and therefore her birth:

1945 DOIG HELEN ROBB F CAMLACHIE GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/03 0883

I don't see her death in Scotland.

If you buy credits on ScotlandsPeople website, you'll be able to find these records, and order the certificates.

The certificates will tell you her parents' names and where they married, and then you can work backwards from there.

You have to buy credits - it's not a subscription site.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Sep 2014 22:36

You have to purchase credits

30 credits cost £7

BUT it would only give you the ref details needed to order the cert

Ellen

Ellen Report 2 Sep 2014 22:39

Thankyou so much that's a great help

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Sep 2014 22:43

Helen died in 1977 in Eastbourne

Name: Helen Robb Lawson
Birth Date: 6 Jul 1945
Date of Registration: Sep 1977 Age at Death: 32
Registration district: Eastbourne
Inferred County: East Sussex
Volume: 18 Page: 0402

Ellen

Ellen Report 2 Sep 2014 22:48

That's amazing .. Yes I knew she died in Eastbourne . That's where my friend is from, she's trying to trace if her auntie/uncle are still alive .. Your a whizz at this thankyou x

Ellen

Ellen Report 13 Oct 2014 21:11

So can someone please tell me if I wanted to try and find Helens birth parents . I have to join and buy credits on scotlands people.. And that's how u get certificate!! Sorry if I sound dumb ... But gonna try help my friend further with this x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Oct 2014 07:02

You don't have to join Scotlands people it's a website

You register on there with a user name and a password of your choice then you can do a free search but if you find what are you interested in it then changes screen to ask you to buy units to view
It costs 1 unit to view the ref

After 1911 you cant spend more units to view the cert but can purchase a copy through them . The certs used to be £10 not sure if that's still the price

Before 1911 for 5 units you can view the cert info online. And can download it so you have the info

Ellen

Ellen Report 14 Oct 2014 10:37

Thankyou so much...also I see there is a number you can ring to order certificates... If you view certificate do you see all the details? X

Ellen

Ellen Report 14 Oct 2014 10:41

Ps.. Glitterbaby and Shirley your very very good at this... I would love to be a fly on the wall to watch how you have all this knowledge .. I hope when I retire in another 15 years or so... I will have the time to commit more to genealogy xx Thanks again x

Potty

Potty Report 14 Oct 2014 11:38

The entries that you can view online (there are time limits on more recent ones) are the original records with all details. Scottish records contain more info than English/Welsh ones. Birth, marriage and death records show both parents; birth records give date of parents' marriage.

Ellen

Ellen Report 16 Oct 2014 19:17

Excited ... Received the marriage certificate today... Now on the search for William Reid Doig... And Ann Davidson Doig circa 1920 in censuses and trees.. In Scotland ! Ann was maiden surname Roberts before .

Potty

Potty Report 17 Oct 2014 11:31

Don't forget scotlandspeople for William and Ann's birth and the 1911 census.