Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winnifred Frances Dodd 13/8/1900 - 1975

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 11 Oct 2014 18:45

After 7 years of searching and several incorrect marriage certs I have found the death of Winnie Dodd - she died at Harperbury Hospital, St Albans, Herts ( mental hospital now closed)

Under informant it gives a name and says "causing the body to be buried at xxx Tudor Walk, Watford" on looking at this address in Google World it seem to be a road containing semi detached houses.

I cannot believe she as buried in the garden was that allowed 50 years ago, I presume a Funeral Director would have to be employed.

I want to find out more about her life since I last saw her mentioned in 1911 and intend to visit Hertfordshire Family Record office (you cannot phone them they have to phone you back) and look at the electoral register (if there) she might have been in the hospital since they took women patients in 1936.

Wish we has access to the 1921 Census now.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Oct 2014 19:13

This might explain that

"Causing the body to be buried" is normally written on the death certificate when the death was registered by a non family member. "

""The term 'causing the body to be buried/cremated' is referring to the person who is giving the instructions to the undertaker - or in the past was doing the funeral arrangements themselves. This qualified that person to register the death."

from a previous GR thread http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1271419

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Oct 2014 19:21

Do you think it might just mean that the informant lived at Tudor Walk.

Instead of saying "at" Tudor Walk could it say "of" Tudor Walk.

I think you will find if you Google that burial in a garden has been around for a very long time.

Kath. x

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 11 Oct 2014 20:09

Hi thanks for explaining that have never heard that phrase before, shame after all my searching I do not think I will be able to find out much about her life.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Oct 2014 12:08

The records of the hospital 'might' be with the local authority archives.

Give them a call.

Have you googled the hospital?

Gee

Gee Report 12 Oct 2014 12:17

Out of interest................

I can't see the death in 1975 for Win* Dodd :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Oct 2014 12:26

Think it's a typo!! by Lesley

Name: Winnie Dodd
Birth Date: abt 1900
Date of Registration: Sep 1957
Age at Death: 57
Registration district: St Albans
Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 4b
Page: 184

brigid

brigid Report 12 Oct 2014 12:42

I hope you get information from the hospital records ;
My great grandfathers asylum hospital records were incredibly detailed + gave us loads of information .His 1920 admission gave family history including number of siblings ,and next of kin . and there was a photo .plus regular medical notes for the years he was there .
The details may be upsetting if she was there for a mental illness .
Do keep us informed.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 12 Oct 2014 12:51

Thanks for your hlp, yes I meant to say 1957, gosh it would be great to see details of her records, I will keep you informed bit it may be a week or two before I can visit or contact them as the only way is by them ringing me up so need to do it when at home for a few hours - what a stupid system

lesleymargaret

Thanks for your hlp, yes I meant to say 1957, gosh it would be great to see details of her records, I will keep you informed bit it may be a week or two before I can visit or contact them as the only way is by them ringing me up so need to do it when at home for a few hours - what a stupid system

lesleymargaret