Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage information pre 1754

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 13:35

I have been looking at a general register for a Lincolnshire parish, which just gives very basic entries e.g. John Brown & Jane Smith married 18th June 1735.
However, on genes the Linconshire Marriages Index provides more detail for a particular marriage that I am interested in than the register entry. Can anyone enlightened me on where the extra information can have come from?

Potty

Potty Report 19 Oct 2014 13:55

I am not sure what you mean by a general register - is it a transcription or an image?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 14:11

See if the event has been transcribed on http://www.freereg.org.uk/

Although errors do occur (type what *you* see) all details on the entry are transcribed including any margin notes.

You may be able to view the image at
http://www.lincstothepast.com/

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 14:20

It is the image on lincstothepast that I have viewed. The Lincolnshire Marriages Index entry on genes gives additional detail that the bride was a widow and the groom was the senior of 2 men of the same name. The other being his son.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 14:46

Go by what the image says - anything else is conjecture!

Findmypast is famous for having submitted trees where people have put together what they believe to be correct. As we all know especially when we rely on PR, errors do occur. BUT this is GR who get their records from Findmypast

As the record has no connection to anyone living, would you mind giving details so that we can look for ourselves?

jax

jax Report 19 Oct 2014 15:02

What trees are these on FMP DET?

Ancestry Yes...but you cant see trees on FMP as far as I Know

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 15:06

PR - not the trees!!! :-D

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 15:09

Willingly - Henry Picks married Elizabeth Buller on 31 Jul 1729 & Morton by Bourne Lincolnshire. That is all that appears on the General Register scan on "lincs", but the Lincolnshire Marriage Index on Genes states EB widow & HP snr. Just to add a little more - Henry seems to have married & been widowed several times - to Deborah Ridge in 1703 @ Burton Pedwardine, she died in 1710 @ Morton & the entry appears in the same general register. They had a son Henry - baptsim same register 1706. Henry then married Elizabeth Jackson 1713, she died 1715, followed by marriage to Elizabeth Scoles who died 1727 - again all in the same register. The 1729 marriage could therefore be either, Henry Snr marrying yet again, or a first marriage for Henry jnr. Elizabeth Picks nee Buller died 1737. There are 2 later marriages for Henry Picks in 1743/4 & 1752, but I am pretty sure these relate to Henry jnr as there is a burial for Henry snr in 1743/4.
Hence it is rather signifcant to determine where the additional 1729 marriage detail might have come from & how reliable or otherwise it might be.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 15:22

Do you have the URL for the 1729 marriage please?

jax

jax Report 19 Oct 2014 15:33

name(s) HENRY
Last name PICKS
Marriage year 1729
Marriage day 31
Marriage month Jul
Parish Morton by Bourne
Spouse's first name(s) ELIZABETH
Spouse's last name BUTLER
Deanery Aveland & Ness
County Lincolnshire
Country England
Notes HP Senr/ EB wid
Record set Lincolnshire Marriage Index
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 15:34

url below
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=546369&iid=380835

jax

jax Report 19 Oct 2014 15:37

Wouldn't have thought they were all the same man
Last name First name Born Died Event Record set Location
PICKS HENRY — — 1703 Lincolnshire Marriage Index Lincolnshire, England
Transcription
PICKS HENRY — — 1717 Lincolnshire Marriage Index Lincolnshire, England
Transcription
PICKS HENRY — — 1729 Lincolnshire Marriage Index Lincolnshire, England
Transcription
(purchased)
PICKS HENRY — — 1744 Lincolnshire Marriage Index Lincolnshire, England
Transcription
PICKS HENRY — — 1752 Lincolnshire Marriage Index Lincolnshire, England

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 15:43

Jax, I agree, the knotty issue is whether the 1729 marriage is Henry Pick senior, who would have been 49 yrs old, or his son who would have been 23 yrs old. The 1744 marriage is Henry jnr as Henry snr was buried a few months before, & there is a burial prior to the 1752 marriage that suggests it is another marriage for Henry jnr.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 15:44

There is nothing on the image to indicate marital status or Snr/Jnr. Goodness knows where they got that from.

All it says is
July 31 Henry Pick & Elizabeth Buller.

jax

jax Report 19 Oct 2014 15:44

Two burials for Henry's
Last name First name Born Died Event Record set Location
PICKS HENRY — 1766 1766 National Burial Index for England & Wales Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire, England
Transcription
PICKS HENRY — 1770 1770 National Burial Index for England & Wales Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire, England

No ages on either

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 15:50

Just a thought - have you been able to find a record of the Banns for the marriages? As they tend to be hand written rather than a pro-forma, might there be something about Senior or Widow'er on those?

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 15:50

Thanks Jax, the burial before the 1744 marriage comes from the PR scans. I have yet to sort out which of the 2 burials you gives in Henry jnr & the other possibly relates to Henry Picks bapt 1758 father Thomas Picks. Haven't yet sorted out how the various other Picks in the same PRs are related. Don't we family history researchers like to dinf ourselves puzzles to unravel!

jax

jax Report 19 Oct 2014 15:53

FMP are only showing those two burials for the area.... No pre 1744 one

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 15:56

DetEcTive - good thought - that will probably have to wait until my next trip to the Lincoln records office. Pity I didn't start on this line a little earlier as I was at a Family History Fair at which the Lincolnshire Family History Society had a stand a month ago & could have asked them about these records. I might just try emailing them to see if they can shed any light on this.

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2014 16:07

Jax, I can only assume the FMP data doesn't go back that far. The Register scan of the page with the 1743/4 data happens to be quite good, there is also an even earlier burial entry 1713 for his father Henry Pick.