Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found uncle but not on genes anymore.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hopkins

Hopkins Report 17 Nov 2014 06:17

I recently discovered my father has a younger brother we knew nothing about . The man in question was a member of GR before I became one and no longer uses/subscribes whatever, I check the message i sent him and he hasnt opened it, so thats how i know he dosnt use GR anymore. My father was adopted out and this uncle must have been too. It's so frustrating. What would you do now? Help please.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Nov 2014 09:16

When did you send the message?

Have you - or your father- added your details to the national adoption contact register?

If, as seems possible from the fact that he joined GR, the brother is seeking birth family, he may have done so, and thus contact could be made

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Nov 2014 09:53

Have you used the "Search" option at the top right of the screen? If not click on search and then "search all member trees". Put in either your father's name and year of birth or his younger brother's and check to see if anyone else on Genes has them in their tree. If so then you could try to send a message to these people and they may have information to help you.

Kath. x

Hopkins

Hopkins Report 17 Nov 2014 15:45

Yes. my father has added his name to the contact register a while ago. I first noticed my uncle as he had added my dad to his tree but not the mother who gave them up (understandable). Of course my father is on my tree with his original name so if he had tried to contact him back then he wouldn't have found him as he has an adoptive name now. Looks as though its a brick wall. Unless he looks at the contact register. Pity as my dad isn't getting any younger and has said he would love to meet him. Anyone know anything about these mediators or go between s and much it might cost to hire one? Thanks for the replies.

jax

jax Report 17 Nov 2014 16:35

Maybe your fathers brother didn't pay to use the site when he added those details, so would not have been able to send a message..... Also a lot of people do not know how to search the trees on here

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Nov 2014 16:36

Have you tried googling your father's and uncle's birth names? It's always worth checking whether your uncle might have posted on other sites as well as here.

Hopkins

Hopkins Report 17 Nov 2014 16:42

Oh that's a thought Jax, thanks yeah he's got two membership numbers too so just gave up I suppose. Thnaks Rambling Rose yes Ive googled, gone through telephone books you name it but unless I find out his adoptive name I beginning to think Im stumpted. I'll google their names again though Cheers both.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2014 23:27

Its worth having a read of the following. The law changed at the beginning of the month meaning that your father 'might' be given help to find his brother

(leads to a .gov.uk site, but the link could 'stretch the page')
http://tiny.cc/smshpx

Graham

Graham Report 18 Nov 2014 15:10

You said he has 2 membership numbers. Did you send a message to both his accounts? It might be that he set up a new account after forgeting the log in details for the first one. In which case he might still be using the 2nd account.

Hopkins

Hopkins Report 18 Nov 2014 20:46

thanks detective ive spoken to someone who's given me an email address to see if anything can be done. Cheers Graham yes ive mailed both but he hasnt opened either unfortunately.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Nov 2014 21:23

one thing to consider is that he might have changed his email address from the one that GR has on file, but has forgotten to notify them :-(

If that is the case .................. then the messages from GR to tell him there are pms waiting, will just be floating around the internet.

sad, but true