Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Presumption of Death' Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 22 Nov 2014 06:32

Here's something....for anyone who is interested...

PRESUMPTION OF DEATH Certificate (in the cases of missing persons).

As a result of the Presumption of Death Act 2013 -
From 1 October 2014 relatives of missing persons are able to apply for a certificate of presumed death, allowing them to resolve legal and financial affairs of the missing (presumed dead) person.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/387404/Presumption-of-death-act-welcomed

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 22 Nov 2014 09:58

Yes.I believe the father of the "missing" young female College Chef {regretfully her name escapes me :-( has been a campaigner for this as he has had to continue paying his daughters mortgage because he was not allowed to sell the property as she had not been declared deceased

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 22 Nov 2014 19:11

Elizabeth, I think you may be thinking of Claudia Lawrence.

In my neighbourhood at home there was a case where a chap walked out of his house one day, just upped and left his wife and children (I remember it because he was a former classmate of my brother). I wonder how on earth the person left behind copes with something like that.
I wonder is there ever a point where you are truly able to decide it's time to move on?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 23 Nov 2014 09:34

Yes/ it was Claudia I was thinking of/her father was recently on the television explaining the problems for people left in this position

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 31 Jan 2015 00:44

Bumping this up for Sue....