Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Multiple 'Searches'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 22 Nov 2014 17:25

Do you think it is ok to put in for several 'Searches' at any one time?

I wondered after the lady at online GRO asked me if it was for family history research. It made me wonder whether they have people seeking information to be used not legitimately.

I also asked for one where I only knew the name of the father but not the mother, and it was as recently as early seventies. I was much quizzed as to why I wanted the certificate. When I explained that the father was not alive and I was tracing a relative she said she would allow it through. She spoke of a fifty year rule.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2014 18:05

there is a 50 year rule on birth certs because of possible identity fraud /theft.

I ordered new birth certs etc for our youngest sister and her hubby and daughter who live in Canada They put all their stuff in storage whilst waiting for their house to be finished . She then needed the certs for things but the storage didnt allow access unless it was to clear everything

I was quizzed too at great length at the LRO Islington where the big GRO records books were held at that time I did take ID with me to prove I was her sister but a supervisor had to authorise each order form .

lavender

lavender Report 22 Nov 2014 21:41

That's interesting Shirley, thank you.