Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I assume this is my ancestor?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Nov 2014 14:11

I have the marriage certificate of my 4x gt grandfather in Staffordshire dated 1788. I have not found a birth to match in the area but I have found one in Woolwich Kent. How can I verify if this is my ancestor or not. his name was Cornelius Baker so not a particularly a usual name. This particular family have always passed the same family names throughout the generations from father to son, brother's to sons etc.

Thanks for any advice, it's very much appreciated.

Lou

Kense

Kense Report 23 Nov 2014 15:36

I presume you mean the parish record of the marriage as certificates weren't issued until 1837.

Cornelius Baker may not seem a common name but there were probably many with that name in the country.

The fact that you can't find a baptism in Staffordshire may simply be because the records have not been transcribed or have not survived.

It seems unlikely that the Woolwich one is correct unless you know of some other link between the twio places in your family.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Nov 2014 15:49

Also, as registration wasn't compulsory at that time, the birth may simply not have been registered.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Nov 2014 15:53

1788,?,,,,,,

there was no registration for births mid 1700s,,,,,,the best would be a baptism.

Any Wills?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Nov 2014 16:03

http://www.curiousfox.com/vill100/Staffordshire15160_1.html

Cornelius Baker b Tipton 1768 married Ester ? (possibly Smith) in 1788 they had at least 3 children all born in Tipton - Cornelius, Esther & Joseph all christened on 25th Feb 1798 at St. Thomas's Church Dudley. Cornelius b approx 1798 married Elizabeth ? born West Bromwich on 16th September 1822. They had 7 children all born in Tipton. Hannah Baker born approx 1823. William Baker born approx 1825. Catherine Baker born approx 1828. Elizabeth Baker b 1830. John Benjamin Baker b 1832. Mary Ann Baker b 1835 and Esther Baker born 1837. William married Sarah Onions 24th May 1847 & had 6 children. John b Tipton 1849, William b East Indies 1858, Joseph b tipton 1860, Sarah B Wednesbury 1864, Betsey b Monmouthshire 1867, Phoebe b Goscote 18 1873. Joseph married Lily Maria Stokes in Handsworth 1888 and they had 8 children born in Bradley area Joseph 1889, Leonard 1891, John 1893, William 1896, Elsie 1901,Charlie, Marion & Lillian. John married Florrie Jackman in 1914.

(google brings above for him, not seeing on below)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

(coverage on below)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/sts/t.shtml#1

Chris :)

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Nov 2014 16:15

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your response. Yes I do mean the parish record of his marriage - sorry not an actual certificate.

Chris Ho :) Yes that's the correct whole family. I'm trying to find out where Cornelius was born - his origin.

Thanks again,

PS the only link between the two area are in the present day - some relatives now live in the area of Kent!

Lou

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 Nov 2014 16:51

Isn't he the one in Chris's post born 1768 in Tipton? That one married in 1788 so sounds right.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Nov 2014 17:37

Hi Andy's mum,

The one Chris found- I had thought was new and took at look at the link, it turns out it was the info I had originally posted on Curious Fox quite a while back and had totally forgotten about.

It was in my early days of researching and had assumed he was born in Tipton because that's where he children were born. If that makes sense.

I had hoped to find a baptism or some other information relating to his birth area.

Thanks Lou

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 23 Nov 2014 19:10

Well there's this one

Name: Cornelius Baker
Christening Date: 29 Sep 1765
Christening Place: KINGS STANLEY,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Cornelius Baker

equally unlikely though Glos. is a bit nearer to Dudley/Tipton than Kent is......

(Don't forget that Dudley was at one time part of Worcestershire, not Staffordshire)

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Nov 2014 21:46

I wouldn't assume Cornelius Baker was such a unique name.

There were 31 births registered in England & Wales as Cornelius Baker in the first 50 y of civil registration (i.e., 1837q3 - 1887q2). A significant number of births were not registered pre-1875.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Nov 2014 09:51

Hi BeverleyW

Thanks for finding that record, I have made a note of it for further reference.

mgnv

That's something I've not actually done, look up how many were registered in a 50 yr time frame, so that's really interesting. Still only 31 in 50 years out of the whole population is still a very low number I would have thought, but interesting all the same, and it's been a good tip. so thanks for that.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and help, it's very much appreciated.

Good luck to you all in your own research and although I'm a tad bit early I may not get chance again to wish you all A Very Happy Christmas. and A New Year full of good fortune and Happy Hunting;

regards Lou xx

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Nov 2014 20:12

Never assume anything

As assuming makes as ASS of U and ME.....

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 26 Nov 2014 14:23

Hi DazedConfused

Love it, that really made me chuckle.

Thanks for brightening a miserable wet day.

Good hunting to you. x

Regards Lou
x