Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Griffiths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michele

Michele Report 21 Jan 2015 03:54

Please can anyone give me some guidance in searching for my biological father, Charles Griffiths, born in Liverpool/Merseyside (maybe 1945?).

I am now 50 (born 1964) and recently discovered from an aunt that he paid maintenance for me until my Mother, Joyce Williams was married (unfortunately, he died when I was eight) and always wondered if he thought I had a happy, stable life. I do not know his parents' names and have hit a wall so any snippet is greatly appreciated.

He lived in Bromborough and 4 Gatley Road, Maghull, Liverpool and met my Mother working at Huntley & Palmers in Huyton, Lancashire. He married someone also from the factory and possibly moved to Canada.

I just need to find out something/anything. Just to see his birth certificate even.

Thank you in anticipation, Michele Jones

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Jan 2015 06:40

If the child maintenance was court ordered and the case was heard at a Magistrate's Court then you can search the original Magistrate's Court Records at the local archives (if you know the area where the court case was held).

You could also look at old electoral rolls at the library closest to the addresses you have. This might give you a middle initial.

Rose

Michele

Michele Report 21 Jan 2015 10:01

Thanks for advice. I forgot to mention that I now live in Australia so was trying to do it all online. I gather Affiliation Orders are not open to public viewing? My mother apparently went to a court (now closed) when I was less than 6 weeks old. Literally found this out today!

There appears to be no record of him either on electoral register.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 10:46

When you say that there was no trace of him on the ER, have you checked with the archives or were you relying on internet sources?

This link gives details of the archives where Maghull records are held.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Maghull/

If you haven't already, contact the archives mentioned to see if they hold the historical ER. They will make a charge for a specific address look-up.

Check on Friendsreunited to see if there is a Huntley and Palmers page for Lancashire.

Michele

Michele Report 21 Jan 2015 11:46

Thank you for your help. I will endeavour to search everywhere. I only joined today and so have just checked this site. There isn't even a passport application which is strange being that he was supposed to have moved to Canada with wife and child.
Started to think it's all a cover up!

I found two Charles Griffiths registered in Bromborough but came to a halt, not knowing his Mother's name. I spoke to one on Facebook who was helpful. However, he said he knew of the other one but had a brother. I was led to believe that he had sister so feel quite distressed by it all. Thanks again.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 11:58

You aren't going to find passport applications on line, especially for so 'recent' an event. Baring illness or accidents, Charles should be alive.

Unfortunately you are on the cusp of the passenger/immigration lists on any site which makes it difficult to pin down the Canadian aspect.

You can check if either the Charles' has siblings by using both parents surnames and a suitable time frame in your searches on the GRO index. Don't get too upset about the conflicting information - memories can be faulty.

Follow through with the historical ER at the archives and take it from there.

Michele

Michele Report 21 Jan 2015 12:11

Unfortunately I don't know the name of his parents but all advice is so very much appreciated. Thanks!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 12:31

You said that you found 2 birth reg that could be relevant.

It would give the mother's surname. For instance (and this is made up)

1964 March quarter
Griffiths, Charles Jones Liverpool 7a 123

1964 Mar Q- the year and quarter in which the birth was registered
Griffiths -father's surname
Charles - childs forename
Jones - mother's maiden name
Liverpool - Registration district
7a and 123 - volume and page number from the gro index.
You'd need the details to order a certificate.

The above is FICTITIOUS.

The made up entry gives the mother's maiden name - you can now look for further births with a father surname Griffiths and a mother maiden name Jones. You'd need to select a suitable time frame and area.
It would also be possible to back track and find a possible marriage for a Mr Griffiths and a Miss Jones.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl is free to use and easy to manipulate.

As ER can only be searched by address, once you've tracked down where they are held, ask for a look-up for the time span at that address from when you were born until your mother married. They will give you all the names of the eligible voters registered there. The age of majority in 1964 was 21 although that was to reduced 18 late 1960's/early 1970's.

Michele

Michele Report 22 Jan 2015 03:21

Thanks so much for all the effort you put into to helping me. I have possibly narrowed it down? If it is him he isn't in Canada but still in Liverpool. And if it is the correct Charles Griffiths he is no longer married to Ann Ferguson and they, I think are both still alive?

I lack confidence with all this and wish a magic wand could be waved for concrete evidence. The most significant link is the birth of a girl, Alison, my sister born only months after myself. He was forced to marry that time!

Sadly, my mother requested that I didn't search for him and I respected it. I am very angry now as after all it is my life that has been affected by it all. I wish I could have a happy ending. Sorry don't mean to moan. Kindest regards