Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sri Lanka birth certicate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AussieCroydon

AussieCroydon Report 24 Mar 2015 21:39

I am wondering if anyone has had success finding a birth certificate from Sri Lanka. My great grandmother was born there and I am wanting to obtain it. My problem is I have an idea of her parents first names and all her information but nothing else. It also says I need to pay by stamps.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers Jackie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Mar 2015 07:48

Where are you looking for the cert. that say you have to pay with stamps

Was her birth registered at the British consulate or at the local office to her birth

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Mar 2015 11:04

welcome to the boards :-)

if you give us details of what you're looking for we may be able to help you

Ann x

AussieCroydon

AussieCroydon Report 30 Mar 2015 10:42

Thank you Shirley and Ann. Sorry for the delay in writing back.

I am trying to trace my great grandmother's birth certificate May Letitia Cornelia Steele born in 1887 in Kandy Sri Lanka. I have since been able to
download a more recent form and I have sent it off today. it will be really interesting if I get a reply. If this doesn't work I may have to realise it is always going to be a mystery.
Jackie.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Mar 2015 10:55

If this is her marriage you can get the cert from the GRO

State it as an overseaes marriage

Ecclesiastical Returns - Marriages Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image Attach to tree
First name(s) May Letitia
Last name Steele
Marriage year 1907
Marriage date 7 Oct 1907
Spouse's first name Charles
Spouse's last name Evans
Place Bangalore
Presidency Madras
Groom's age 34
Bride's age 19
Groom's father's first name William
Groom's father's last name Evans
Bride's father's first name John
Bride's father's last name Steele
Catalogue description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras, : 1698-1948
Archive reference N-2-102
Folio number 176
Entry number -
Record set British India Office marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

AussieCroydon

AussieCroydon Report 31 Mar 2015 12:22

Hi Shirley

Thank you for this information. I was lucky enough to find a printout of this information that my mum had previously sent for. What I am trying to obtain is May's birth certificate. About 20 years ago she did send for it and received it but unfortunately it was written in Tamal and she couldn't understand it so she sent it back. Mum passed away 2 years ago and had dementia for a couple of years before this so I was not able to ask to many questions. I have decided to continue her mission and will see what happens.

thanks so much again

Cheers Jackie.