Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deceased online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MBSG

MBSG Report 5 May 2015 17:17

Has anyone found the following site useful?

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2015 17:25

yes indeed !!

have found several family members burial info from the early 1900,s right up to my own parents cremation record 1975 and 1980

Mine were in the London area both north and south of the Thames

Its not an expensive site either

MBSG

MBSG Report 5 May 2015 17:46

Thanks for that. Unfortunately when I used it the family member was buried in a public grave that appeared to have been reused so nothing to see - not even a grassed area.

malyon

malyon Report 5 May 2015 17:47

a very good site to look

jax

jax Report 5 May 2015 18:00

I have found quite a few ancestors on there... Handy for the deaths where no Age was given In the index

I have not been to the cemetery to find the graves as I would imagine there would not be anything to see.... Would have thought they needed their money to live rather than spend on a gravestone.

I was reading a thread on another site where a man had brutally murdered his wife and teenage son who still lived at home..... This man's Burial from the prison he was in was found and someone said she would go to the cemetery and take a photo of it...... Who was going to buy this gravestone? I certainly wouldn't if my dad had killed my mum and brother

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2015 18:20

well yes it can be they are in a public grave but the council will have row and plot nos and who are buried in the same plot .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 May 2015 18:57

I've found loads of records for burials and cremations.

Although it would be far too expensive to pay to view every single one, the few that I have gave the place of death, normal residence as well as the name & address of who organised the funeral. Much cheaper than a DC.

Close deceased relatives were either cremated or buried without a headstone. In other instances the plot has been reused. If you find one out of twenty markers, count yourself lucky!

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 May 2015 19:11

If "your area" is covered then it's very useful. I have recently been in Nottingham, where the Records Office was closed for update at the time. I had found that 3 of the big cemeteries and a crematorium up there were now covered, so that was my research for the trip this time round. Another cemetery to be added soon.

I found a great grandad in a common grave with 10 others - no stone to mark when I got there. Great and also Great and gt gt Grandparents on 2 other sides and best of all another set of gt Grandparents, with a son and the daughter who had died a tragic death away from home. I had heard stories of her dying "too young" and had only recently taken a punt on a death certificate. I then wondered if her family had known she was ill, had they seen her etc etc. Wonderful to find out that they obviously did know and after her death they had been able to bring her home and lay her to rest with her Mother and then later her Father and brother.

That gravestone had fallen over facedown so I couldn't see the details written on it, but hope to in the future. The Cemeteries department at Nottm City Council were very helpful, giving me maps of the burials so I could find the graves (the map on deceased on line only gave names to the different sections in one cemetery, with lots of burial in each section, not the specific graves), whilst at another I would never have worked out the numbering system without help from staff at that cemetery.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 7 May 2015 23:04

i have found a lot of burials on that site
only wish they would also have city of london and east london
cemetery
as they are the main cemetery i now need

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 8 May 2015 23:52

Very interesting site, have found my grandparents straight away

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 May 2015 21:04

I found the site very useful as it listed all the occupants of the lair. Although the graves I had visited had headstones, not all the family buried in the lair had been named on the headstone.