Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Newspaper Archives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 8 May 2015 12:58

Hi there, I have been a Standard member for years but, if I really want to see something,I buy extra Points. Does anybody else have a Problem with the British Newspaper Archive. It is all jumbled up, ofcourse one can open up the page you wish to view and read it and there my Problem lies,..... it can be a bit hit and miss as to wether one is opening the correct page or not.
I have written to Genes Support Line to tell them but they can`t get what I mean.Is there anyone out there that does, Grrhhh!
Cheers, Julie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 May 2015 13:06

Not surprised to hear that GR don't understand...................par for the course for them.

I would have thought it easy to understand that the image does not always relate to the transcription........I presume that's what you're saying?

I never use any records on GR, so I can't comment specifically

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 8 May 2015 13:39

I think it Needs to be someone out there who has used the GR, British Newspaper Archives and has actually seen the Problem for themselves. I surely can`t be the only one that wonders about it?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 May 2015 14:34

So what IS the problem?

You haven't actually made it clear to me, so perhaps that's why you're having trouble conveying your message to GR

Hardly anyone on here bothers with GR records...............................much better options elsewhere

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2015 16:53

Do you mean something like this as a preview??

Chester Courant Cheshire, England
29 Jun 1824
MR. SMITH, THE MISSIONARY

MR. SMITH, THE MISSIONARY. John wm June «'/, li'MU, In Nor|#l«III' ll id llllS* ttl ft

Its probably because the image is transcribed by a 'reader' style programme rather than a real person.

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 8 May 2015 18:53

Hi there,
yes, that is exactly what I mean, I find it irritating to unscramble. as quite often not even the names are very clear- I was looking at 1777-1813, which I found very fiddly to read. I simply wondered why it had to function that way...but you could be right about why. Thanks so much for answering my query, I started to think I was going nuts.