Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Purple Stars on Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 11 Mar 2016 17:07

I am not sure what those purple stars on each of the members of my tree mean? They have numbers in - is this the number of matches?

Sorry to be so dense!

Chris

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Mar 2016 17:16

Yes it is , if you click on them you will see the matches in trees and records for that person :-)

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 11 Mar 2016 17:17

If you click on the purple star it will show you how many 'Record Matches' and how many 'Tree Matches' you have for that person. You can then view the matches by clicking the relevant button.

Chris

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2016 17:46

But you need to be aware that the "matches" GR suggests are not necessarily the same person as the one in your tree.

For instance, one person in my tree has apparently one record match, and one tree match.
The tree match is the right person, because it's in the tree of someone to whom I gave the information.
The record match, however, is for a completely different person who has the same name and year of birth - but was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, whereas my relative was born in Stirling.

Even worse than that are the supposed 16 record matches for my mother. The 16 people have the same first and last names as my mother, and were born in the same year, but some have different middle initials, and they were all born in England, whereas my mother was born in Edinburgh.

Similarly the 9 record matches for my late husband - the "matches" are all people with the same name and year of birth, but born in England, while he was born in Ireland.
And of the supposed 52 tree matches, only a few are correct.

If you're looking for a record match with a relative born in Scotland or Ireland, the system's useless.
And even if your relative was born in England, unless he/she has an unusual name, you'll be given the names of lots of unrelated people, perhaps with the correct one somewhere among them.

Christine

Christine Report 11 Mar 2016 18:07

Thank you everyone, hmmn maybe not a lot of help then!

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Mar 2016 19:12

I've found the "tips" on here and on ancestry (it's a green leaf on ancestry) are basically useless.

Like AG, I find that the link is either to the tree of someone to whom I gave the information, or to people with the same name born in completely different years and different parts of the UK.

The ration is about 20% to the first category and 75% to the second.

In other words ........... about 5% may seem to be close enough to warrant a contact.

I've even had matches on here to people with completely different names :-S