Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workplace

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 15 Mar 2016 09:10

Hello, is it possible to find out where a person was employed, my grandmother was a domestic servant in Kidderminster in 1923. Would there be any records anywhere?
Thanks
Angela

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2016 10:32

Probably not - many middle class households would have had a domestic servant either living at home or 'In'. Single women didn't gain the right to vote until 1928, so electoral rolls are out unless she was married or a property owner.

Do you have a document (birth, marriage or death certificate) which gives an address? If it wasn't the family home, it might be that of her employers which could be researched from Historical Electoral Rolls.
Not many of those are on-line and are usually held by the nearest library which has a Local Studies section, or an Archive.

Angela

Angela Report 15 Mar 2016 10:35

Thank you for your help, I will check my certificates

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2016 10:35

Is the query linked to your other thread?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1358668

Angela

Angela Report 15 Mar 2016 10:49

yes it is