Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re birth registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Apr 2016 22:30

Hi
Can some one please help???,,,
If someone was born in England can they register the birth in Wales??? or do they have to register the birth in the country of birth?

as i have a child who was born in england , but registered in wales, also on his birth certificate it doesnt say anything about england his birth place, at all.

Thanks

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Apr 2016 22:37

There was another thread on this subject, with several replies, including one from me added about 15 minutes ago, but it's vanished. :-S :-S

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Apr 2016 22:48

Hi Andysmum,

Sorry but I never read it or saw it .

Debbie

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2016 22:54

I added to that with the definitive answer

Register a birth - GOV.UK
www.gov.uk/register-birth/overview Cached
1. Overview. All births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. You should do this at the local register ...

All births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born.

You should do this at the local register office for the area where the baby was born or at the hospital before the mother leaves. The hospital will tell you if you can register the birth there.

If you can’t register the birth in the area where the baby was born, you can go to another register office and they will send your details to the correct office.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2016 22:55

surely that was your posting Debbie - two people wouldn't have asked the same question on the same evening

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Apr 2016 23:04

Hi Ann.

Yes it was my posting both, but I could not see any replies at all..

So Its possible that he was born in England but registered in Wales, but the birth cert just said the district in Wales.??

I had already read the above post info on Google but Just wanted to check what I had read on there... As it just didnt confirm it

Debbie

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Apr 2016 23:13

I seem to remember on the other thread that you had read the info on google and wanted to confirm.

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Apr 2016 23:17

Hi Greyghost,,

For some reason I cant find the other thread at all....

So do you think Its possible that he was born in England but registered in Wales, but the birth cert just said the district in Wales.??

This is the 1st time my thread has vanished in 13yrs from using Genes lol

Debbie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2016 23:45

Could we ask - what year did this occur? Do you have the actual certificate, or are you basing your question on the gro reference and registration district?

Although technically the birth should be registered within the 42 days quoted and at the register office local to the place of birth, sometimes events could have over-taken the parents.
A late registration, for all manner of reasons, might also be considered especially if the child was born at home.
Even today with the fast discharge after confinement, you might find someone giving birth in a hospital just over the boarder of a reg district, or even England/Wales but being registered locally to the home address.

A previous member swore blind that he was born in Wales based on what he was told, but his birth was registered in England where his father was working. This was at the tail end of WW2

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Apr 2016 23:55

Hi DetEcTive,

Thank you for your reply,,,,

The year he was born was 1913, im going by the actual birth certificate I obtained from Wales, but a family member are saying he was def born in England , and they even know the name of the Hospital he was born in.

Maybe he was still under the 42 days old when they came to Wales and registered him there.

Do you know if I could find the actual hospital records to prove this?

Any help is appreciated

Debbie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Apr 2016 00:02

You'd have to search the internet for the name of the hospital and see if you can work out where the records are held. There's a faint chance they may have been deposited with the county or local archive.
Don't forget that many workhouses had an Infirmary attached to them. Records relating to workhouses have a better chance of survival.

As many hospital records would have been destroyed, it may end up as another of those irritating quirks we sometimes encounter!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2016 00:10

Its alway been possible to register a birth out of district by proxy and signing declaration form as true facts ,,,,,but the birth will still show or should as in the county where the actual birth took place.

2000 I belive changed where a birth can be registered at any office. without any problems as long as the paperwork from the hospital/midwife/doctor complies as true facts.

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 Apr 2016 00:19

Thank You DetEcTive

I will look into the Hospital online and see what I can find out, Once again a BIG Thank you

Debbie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Apr 2016 00:47

My OH was born in Wales, but registered in Chester.

His parents lived in Chester but his Mum was sent to a Nursing Home in a small village that was just inside Wales .............. as most of you may know, Chester is very close to Wales.

The border was moved a few years later, and that small village ended up in England, and Chester was a few miles further away from Wales.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Apr 2016 12:26

My previous post said that I think, for registration purposes, that England and Wales are regarded as the same place.

If you are born near the border, the nearest large town where you can register the birth may well be over the border - hence the apparent anomaly.

This thought has now been confirmed by SylviaInCanada.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2016 16:53

Was his father in the Services?

Just wondering whether there is an Army record or similar for the father, online?... which sometimes list dependent children and their place of birth.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2016 16:58

1913 is quite far back for living people to have definite facts about a place of birth.

One branch of my tree shows a 10 years old child living in Herefordshire with his parents in 1901 and stating that he was born in a nearby village.

.......No..
I have a copy of his birth certificate 10 years earlier showing him born in the South Wales valleys.

Memory is not always reliable....

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 2 Apr 2016 19:53

Debbie. You do not say which area of Wales you are talking about. Could it be a county like Monmouthshire which in 1913 was English but now, renamed Gwent, towns there would now be Welsh and presumably copies of birth certificates would be from a Welsh office. I can't remember without looking it up but I think that was the case when I ordered a certificate for a member of my family born in Abergavenny.

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Apr 2016 23:19

The GRO covered BMD registration for England and Wales, and county and the Welsh borders were taken into account in setting up the registration districts, but inconveniences of these borders were not over-riding. A classic example is Presteigne & Kington RD. Kington is in Herefordshire, and this is nominally a Herefordshire rego district, but it includes Radnor, and Presteigne is also in Radnorshire. Oswestry RD, nominally a Shropshire RD, also includes Llansilin in Denbighshire. Wrexham, nominally a Flintshire RD, also included Malpas in Chesshire. There are similar anomalies up and down the Welsh border.
I would gues no county in England & Wales had its borders universally observed.

The English-Scottish border was another matter, since the GROS handled Scottish BMD registrations, so this border was enforced.

Pre-partition, the 6 counties of NI wee collectively covered by 33 RDs - 8 of these straddled the partition line. (I'm not dead certain of these numbers, but they're about right anyways.) The border was enforced post-partition.