Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deseasedonline

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 7 Apr 2016 22:43

I'm thinking of subscribing to this and was wondering if anyone already has and if its useful
Annie

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Apr 2016 22:54

I haven't subscribe but have used the site by buying credits. I found it very useful as you can find out who is buried in the lair. I found 4 x G Grandfather's burial place through the site. He wasn't named on the headstone but was buried with his daughter and son in law.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Apr 2016 23:25

It depends which part of the country you're interested in.

London is well covered, but some other places aren't.
Unfortunately, I haven't found it very useful.

They do keep adding more records, though.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 8 Apr 2016 10:09

You are quite correct ArgyllGran it does depend on where your ancestors lived. I was lucky as one of my branches was from Angus and they cover that area very well. Deceased online do seem to concentrate on the London area. When they get round to covering Glasgow and Edinburgh, I'd happily subscribe as the details of those buried in a particular lair can be very helpful.

As an example, I have never been able to find a death registration for my GG Grandfather but I know when he was buried. For some reason, he must have been missed from the Scotlandspeople indexes. It has been suggested that he died outside Scotland but I think that's highly unlikely as the family were poor and I doubt they would have been able to raise the money to bring his body back to Scotland. It's disappointing as he married in Ireland so I only have his father's name and was hoping to get his mother's name from his death registration.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Apr 2016 11:07

The burial or cremation registers can be very useful, especially for the 20th century where the free results tell you both when they died and when buried/cremated. Do check the site to see what information is shown on the individual records. Some authorities have insisted that the name if the person arranging it, or the deceased's address is redacted if the death took place in the last 10 years or so.

I've only purchased a few direct line images.

We did have a bit of a ??? moment with OHs grandfathers. For some reason father in laws middle name had been written as Edward which bears no relation to his actual name. :-S

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Apr 2016 11:42

You can check out the coverage offered by looking on the site

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

You can see the person's name and the date and location without paying (anything more costs) and that may be enough for your purposes but you can get more. You buy credits and spend them - minimum £5. The more you buy, the more bonus free credits you get.

I've only been concentrating on Nottingham and what's available differs slightly even from one cemetery to the other.

To give you an idea of what you might get, apologies if this is more than you asked for -

In most cases (although there are slight differences) you'll get the chance to buy

"grave details" which may often say "And x number of other burials". So you can see who else is in the grave with their name and burial date, which may answer other questions. That for £1.50. Too many others and it's likely to be a communal grave.

Also "grave register Scan" which lists all burials at the cemetery in the order they happened. Should give you the burial number, date, name, age, late abode, where buried, name of officiating minister, date of certificate of death, name and District of Registrar, name and abode of undertaker. Cost £2

And also offered may be a "Map of Grave location" . Now in Rock Cemetery this would cost £2.50 and just gives the section the grave is in. You would not want to try to find for yourself the right grave in a section unless you had all day and a lot of patience! Not all have headstones anyway. (I got a map of graves within a section emailed to me from the cemeteries department of the council). In the General Cemetery the cost is £5 and although I haven't used this as yet am wondering if it's more detailed and will show exactly where a grave is?.

At Southern Cemetery you'll get "Full register details" £2 - no. of entry, name, age, place where death occurred, date of burial, performed by, Section where grave is and it's no. from which parish received,date of death and remarks. (Remarks can be - Vault, Soldier, Reopen 'C', stillborn etc etc. Also "grave details plus other burials" for £1.50

A "cremation register scan" at Wilford Hill Crematorium will give date of cremation,name and address of deceased, age and sex, marital status, name and address of person who applied for the cremation, name and address of the person signing the certificate, district where death registered, how and where the ashes were disposed of.

What I found was you can easily spend lots. I learnt quickly to do the £1.50 "grave details" as first choice if I wanted to know more. Remember if you do look at a full record to copy the details to your own computer - if you go back after 6 months you'll have to pay again.

However, very useful was getting names and burial dates in which cemetery for no cost. Useful if you can get to the RO. On my next visit to Nottingham RO I was able to concentrate on the cemetery records that they hold and look at them. A bit more time consuming but even more information. e.g. "Dug 12ft deep, family grave, room for x no. more" I saw cost of the dig, cheaper as more go in and they don't have to dig so deep!, how much to the minister, when the dues were paid. It was fascinating ! I almost felt as though I was there so to speak......

And I was so glad on one find to see that with my great grandparents, were 2 of their grown up children who had died in tragic circumstances, miles away from home. The family obviously got to know of the deaths and were in the fortunate position to be able to bring them "home". I had found Gt aunts death with a great stroke of luck and wondered if the family knew she was ill, had they visited, where was she laid to rest etc. - so now I know. I would love to see the headstone, but it has fallen over and £400 to reseat it is too much. I need a few strong friends next time I'm there to just lift it enough to see what is on it.

Annie

Annie Report 8 Apr 2016 23:55

Thank you I have done the free search and Lincolnshire seems pretty well covered , still undecided Annie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Apr 2016 00:07

In that case, check out the transcribed parish records on
http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/new

They may not be as current as the ones you are interested in, but you never know! Quite a few of the Lincoln ones have been also transcribed on Findmypast/Genesreunited which people would be happy to access for you.

Lincolnshire Cemetery Records
Lincolnshire workhouse deaths
Lincolnshire Parish Registers Surname Search 1695-1911

FMP & GR also have links to the British Newspaper Archives to 1950. If they lived in a rural area or were well known in the community, there may be a report of their death/funeral

Rather than purchase a subscription to deceased on line, you could always use credits if you find a free result not listed elsewhere.