Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

reduced prices for "Finding People"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dona

Dona Report 12 Apr 2016 16:24

hi I have been with genesreunited for over 15 years and now I am a probate researcher and often use this area of genes but it is costing me loads to find where someone lives on the electoral roll all over the country. I don't drive so cant go driving everywhere, I am a pensioner trying to start up my own small one woman business on my pension, I would very much appreciate it if I could get a vast reduction in the cost of this part of genes. I have had a few successes with the Treasury but find that when ne comes to fruition, my costs overweigh what commission I get, and as I am trying to make this pay, it is very frustrating. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP.... I HAVE JUST SPENT ANOTHER £17.95, SO PLEASE HELP ME
REGARDS DONA

malyon

malyon Report 12 Apr 2016 16:31

why dont you look on freelectrol roll its free

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Apr 2016 16:42

For people who haven't opted out, you can get all the info except the actual address on here without extra payment, and the whole address on 192.com.

BUT, as most of the genealogy sites do not like you using them to help run a business, I think your chances of getting a discount are nil.

If you want to pursue this, then an email to [email protected] is better than posting on here. Most of the people reading this are members like yourself and have no control over the way the site is run.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2016 17:39

Can you use your 'bus pass' to get to your library? Some of them have free access to Findmypast which holds electoral rolls.

Otherwise, as Malyon suggests, use freeelectoralroll then cross reference surname and post code on 192.com. Their free results will tell you how current the address is.

You can also look the address up on Zoopla 'sold' prices to see when it last changed hands via an Estate agent. If the property is HA or a rental, that won't help you.

http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/
http://www.192.com/

Gee

Gee Report 12 Apr 2016 21:36

Might it be an idea to buy a subscription to FMP? You can then search the ER as much as you need to

Also, the other records that are available (and needed for research) are included in the fee

There are always discount offers to FMP. Have a look here, works out at £8.30 per month

http://www.fyvor.com/coupons/find-my-past/?popcid=4106389

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Apr 2016 21:55

To add to DetEcTive's post, only some libraries have FMP, but almost all of the main ones have Ancestry, which should give you most of what you need.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Apr 2016 17:03

Welcome to the Community boards Lilian.

(I'll let Lilian know how to find her replies) :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Apr 2016 17:28

To be honest if you, going to be a researcher then you need subs to sites other than genes . You need ancestry and FMP and be prepared to buy certs to back up your
research so you follow the right family tree

It's big business as you can see by the programmes on the TV

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Apr 2016 19:41

it is not easy to be a professional researcher, nor is it cheap.

You do have to be VERY careful about using sites such as GR, FMP, Ancestry, etc ............... if they suspect that you are using their sites to do research for which you are being paid, they can cut you off.

I think all of them have some statement in their T&Cs about using the site only for your own personal use. Some have restrictions on the number of searches that you can do per month.