Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 16 Apr 2016 14:58

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new lap top and as you can no longer download the free software from the LDS site I would like some opinions on which is the best software to purchase so I can install my tree on my PC.

I also subscribe to Ancestry and am I right in saying that they no longer support Family Tree Maker?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards Susan :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Apr 2016 22:12

I use Roots Magic, and find it does everything I want it to do.

I bought the full version, but there's a basic free version as well.

Don't know how it compares with others, though.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/essentials/

Susan

Susan Report 17 Apr 2016 13:02

Thanks for your reply, ArgyllGran.

Any more from anyone please?

Thanks

Jenpen

Jenpen Report 17 Apr 2016 13:26

I use Family Historian and find it a great programme. I think the latest version links to My Heritage but personally I am not over interested in that. Family Historian has always had good reviews. Family Tree Maker has now been taken over by another company so it is probably still available.

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Apr 2016 18:53

I'm trying out Roots Magic Essentials free version, mainly because it also runs on Windows XP (many of the others don't) and also because it is UK based software.

It takes a little getting used to, being less intuitive than I'd like, but it has everything I need so far.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2016 22:24

FamilyHistorian V6.2 now also links to FMP! It's useful for hints although I don't think it works in quite the same way as FTM. You still have to manually enter sources & events.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2016 22:31

There's a thread about FTM somewhere if someone can find it? Something about another company taking it over or giving it support?

Susan

Susan Report 26 Apr 2016 08:28

Thanks everyone for your advice.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Apr 2016 20:00

http://www.cyndislist.com/software/free/

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 May 2016 22:16

If you Google PAF downloads it looks as if there are still downloads available but I haven't checked them out.