Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thiepval Memorial find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 22 Apr 2016 22:03

In March I visited the Somme to visit the sites of graves and memorials where several of the men on my family tree , who paid the ultimate sacrifice, are remembered.
While there I had a new contact from my great grandfather's brothers great granddaughter. I had planned to visit Thiepval Memorial on the Thursday.
On the Wednesday night we were exchanging some details about our g.grandparents and the disappeared village were they lived , I mentioned that I was in the Somme area of France.
She asked me if I knew about T.E.Andrews who was remembered at Thiepval?
I had the name in my records but had not researched him beyond the 1911 census.
The following morning I located his name of the front of the monument and find out details about his life for her.!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Apr 2016 22:22

how lovely - one of my Dad's brothers is on the Thiepval memorial - I had thought he was on the one in Ypres and when I went there I searched hard to find him, but there were thousands of names on it and of course, he wasn't there anyway

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Apr 2016 22:23

welcome to the boards by the way :-) :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Apr 2016 23:51

Ann - It pays to look up the exact location within the cemetery/memorial first via:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

As an example, here's T.E. Andrews:

ANDREWS, THOMAS EDWARD
Service No: Wales Z/2584
Date of Death: 28/12/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Nelson Bn. R.N. Div.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 1 A.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of John and Matilda J. Andrews, of 18, Nantybar Cottages, Cymmer, Port Talbot.

Note the line "Panel Reference: Pier and Face 1 A."
When there are 72000 names on the memorial, knowing which panel his name is on seems vital to me.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Apr 2016 12:02

thanks but I do have all the details but at the time of my visit to Ypres I was unaware he was on the Thiepval memorial :-)