Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searches for death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 25 Apr 2016 22:59

Hi. Thank you for reading this.
Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

We are trying to locate my dads biological dad (hoping he hasn't passed, yet at the same time finding a certificate of death could open new avenues!! If that makes sense), and any other family members.
So far we are struggling.
My dads after adoption worker suggested trying to locate a death certificate.
I've done loads of searching and so far drawn a blank, maybe he's still living (he'd be 92) ?? Or maybe it's a more recent passing ??

Can anyone advise on how I could search more recent than 2007 ??

I do have a full name, DOB etc that I can PM anyone who may know of a way !?

Thank you again
Xx

Andrew

Andrew Report 25 Apr 2016 23:21

There are some more recent records on ancestry, not 'offical' records but seem to be drawn from various sources.

Also try a google search with the name and see if anything comes up eg if an obit or funeral notice has been published.

PM me the details if you would like an Ancestry search done.

Andy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Apr 2016 23:53

Depending on the circumstances, a deceased person's Estate may have gone to Probate which you can search for here
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

A copy of the Will or Grant of Probate would cost £10.
In most cases, a listing doesn't usually appear if the total Estate is Willed to a spouse. There are exceptions.

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Apr 2016 08:27

Previous thread so no one duplicates research.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1358822?page=3

Andy

Ruth

Ruth Report 26 Apr 2016 08:46

Well done. Wouldn't have a clue how to do that ??

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Apr 2016 08:49

I've been trying to help Ruth with this one. It was me who suggested she ask on this board if anyone had access to more recent deaths. I have looked on Ancestry and the probate lists with no joy.

I also looked on Ancestry, using exact DOB for the person's siblings deaths but only managed to find one but it was 25 years ago so the informant may be at a different address now.

It's so difficult with a common surname and the fact that the person in question sometimes reversed his middle and first name.

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Apr 2016 09:08

No joy here. Have also checked Scotlands people. Nothing

Andy

Ruth

Ruth Report 26 Apr 2016 17:04

So if we are coming to the conclusion that he hasn't passed - how else can I locate him ?? Please ??

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2016 17:59

Has *iannounce* been checked.?

Ruth

Ruth Report 26 Apr 2016 19:29

What is that ?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2016 19:51

Its a free site taken from many local newspapers announcements and obits.

just google,

iannounce..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2016 19:58

https://www.iannounce.co.uk/
"over 4,727,000 obituaries, death notices, and other family announcements, from over 410 local newspapers across the UK. Updated daily. "

Presumably you've already been advised to add all your birth father's known relatives to your tree. If someone related to him starts a tree on here, then your tree will come up in a search.
This could happen at anytime, even after you've decided not to renew. For that reason, don't delete your account, just allow it to lapse. Make sure that your account is always linked to what ever email address you use, either now or in the future. Free members can reply to messages but not instigate them.

Is the registration of your birth father on the birth GRO index? If so you could add a "postem" (note) with a generic email address eg @hotmail, @gmail etc. Say something like an old acquaintance would like to make contact with family.

Ruth

Ruth Report 26 Apr 2016 20:57

Thank you for your advice. I wouldn't know how to make a postem ?!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2016 23:35

Find the entry on Freebmd.
After the names, place and numbers there is a red box which says ‘info’
Click on that.
(Note – all tinyurls lead to FreeBMD. If posted in full they may have extended the width of this page.)

As a random example the following page will look like on this link
http://tinyurl.com/ztvnjlg

The third sentence/paragraph down says” You may add a postem to this entry (see below for explanation).”. add a postem in blue is a hyperlink. Just click on it.
(you might want to read the explanation further down the page before you do that.

The next page allows you to type your message
http://tinyurl.com/jphudj2

Unless Alice Lomas is one of your relatives, don’t type anything in the links given as the examples. Find your birth father’s entry and do it on that.

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Apr 2016 10:17

I found him on the gro and free bmd.

Postem done.

Thank you