Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption database

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 13 May 2016 22:28

I was surprised that when doing some searches online I came across this adoption database.quickbase.com.

I had never seen this site before and was very surprised that so much personal information was available.

Is this legitimate? It said UK Adoption Register and there were lists of adopted children's names, the adoption agencies, names of birth fathers, birth mothers etc.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 May 2016 23:28

This one?

https://adoptiondatabase.quickbase.com/db/bbqm94vvd

The list on the left, with a few exceptions, are US States.
Could it be a contact site where families add their own details rather than them having being gleaned from official sources?

lavender

lavender Report 14 May 2016 15:38

Yes.. I was really surprised that so much personal information was there about UK adopted families!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 May 2016 15:45

I have just had a look at it and DetEcTive is right. It is a database of adoptees, birth mothers/fathers/siblings looking for relatives. The information varies according to how much the person knows, but no adopted names are shown.

It is mostly American, but there are quite a lot of UK entries, and for anyone trying to find birth parents or adopted children it might be worth a go.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 May 2016 11:24

FTDNA has several Forums with various "threads" and from reading them I have discovered there is legistration which forbids the disclosure of ANY information to adoptees in most US States.

There are a surprising number of people trying to find their "identity" by using DNA testing with several convinced they originate in the UK/Ireland having been adopted via the Catholic Church

lavender

lavender Report 15 May 2016 22:55

All interesting, thank you! :-)