Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank (Francis) Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ratty

Ratty Report 14 May 2016 16:08

would like to hear from anyone who knew my late uncle Frank Smith, he married an Irish girl but can't remember her name. I believe they were living in the Deane Rd., area in Bolton.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 May 2016 16:55

Ratty, chances of anyone who knew Frank seeing this are pretty much nil.
To have any chance of someone being able to help you, you at least need to say when & where he was born, to the best of your knowledge, & also when he was last seen.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 May 2016 21:04

!!

Ratty, there were 9 'Francis Smith' marriages in Bolton between 1926 and 1963

1920-2002 there were 14 'Francis Smith' deaths in Bolton

if you know his middle name, his year of birth ...

if he was your uncle you must know his parents' names (same as your mother's or father's?) that would make it possible to identify his birth ... and that would also tell whether he had a middle name ...

with something of that info, finding his marriage might be possible (assuming it was in England), and knowing his wife's name could help you - is she deceased as well?

'anyone who knew' your late uncle is not likely to see this message in a month of Sundays anyway

if you can give an idea of the reason for your search we might be able to help

did Frank and his wife not have children?

could any of these be your Frank/Francis?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/smith/francis?birthplace=bolton

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/smith/frank?birthplace=bolton

of course that is even assuming he was born in Bolton ...

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 May 2016 16:17

Welcome to the Community boards Ratty.

(I'll let Ratty know how to find their replies) :-)

Ratty

Ratty Report 15 May 2016 22:42

Hello Joonie Cloonie, Thank you so much for all your helpful pointers. May I contact you again when i've gathered my scattered thoughts together or perhaps I could tell Cinthia who has also been very helpful.
When I've gathered what info I can, do I post it on here or on messages ?
Thanks again.
Ted.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 May 2016 22:47

Just post here again!

If you send info by private message, the only person who can see it is the person who gets the message ... who has to try to remember what on earth it is about and go find the thread ... and who may not check in here regularly.

All of us regulars check our 'My threads' every time we come to the site, so if you add something here, it will pop up to the top of our list and we will see there is something new.

The only thing not to post here is personal info about living people (exact dates of birth, and personal life things that are not relevant to the search ... some people decide to air all their parents' dirty laundry here!)

since your uncle is deceased it is less sensitive, and you can just tell us his wife's name if you find it, and whether he had children, for instance

oh, and do as my 'researching' line says: click 'Watch this' on this thread, and then you will get email notices of replies here (forever, as long as you keep your email address in your account current)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 May 2016 07:44

Ratty has contacted me again - I will guide him back to you on here Joonie :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 May 2016 13:42

I don't think Ted has grasped how the boards work unfortunately :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 May 2016 13:51

Cynthia, I have asked him to return to the thread as per your instructions. Ted has sent some info, but as it doesn't tie in with what I can find, I think we will have to wait for him to return. :-) But I will PM him and ask if I can post what I do know here...just in case someone can make the leap.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 May 2016 15:27

I think probably the most important thing Ted could tell us is when and where uncle Frank died.

Also, whether Bolton was where he was born, and if not, where it might have been.

That would give a date of birth and areas to look for a marriage and children.

The most Irish-sounding possible bride I spotted was a Doyle. :-)

Ted, if you look here, you can see the messages people have written here -- but, for instance, you can't see the ones that Cynthia and Rose sent you privately.

Likewise, nobody else can see what you have sent Cynthia and Rose privately. :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 May 2016 15:38

I've established from Ted that Francis Smith's mother's maiden name was Mather. and that she was previously married to Mr Green ( hence connection to Ted) and after he died she married Mr Smith.

Birth 1920 looks very likely.

So based on that, as Joonie has come to the same assumption :-) I think the marriage to Doyle would be probable ( though there is a later one also ).

I have messaged Ted with both marriages, to see if either rings a bell.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 May 2016 15:51

'Might' be this one, hopefully Ted will let one of us know.

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription
Print transcription View image
First name(s) FRANK
Last name SMITH
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1921
Age 47
Death quarter 2
Death year 1968
District BOLTON